Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A70-3025

A good movie, although Donald Sutherland is miscast.  Why is it most British actors can adopt an American accent (even geographically specific accents) with seeming ease, yet American actors so often fail miserably when attempting any semblance of a "British" accent?  Most of the film deals with how the robbery will be done, as the thieves have to acquire copies of four keys which will unlock the two safes carrying a gold shipment on the train.  Sean Connery is to be given credit because he actually did some of his own stunt work on the top of a moving train -- something you could never pay me enough money to do!

Correction:  Sean Connery apparently did all of his own stunt work on top of the moving train.  I listened to the commentary track by Michael Crichton and he said they built the train with extra wide roofs and with a sand-papery like skid-resistant surface.  Still, there was one point where Mr. Connery fell down on the roof and Mr. Crichton, viewing from his chair inside the train, wasn't sure if it was an acting choice or a real slip.  It was a real, and potentially dangerous, slip.

Edited by duaneiac

On 8/29/2016 at 10:12 PM, duaneiac said:

A70-3025

Why is it most British actors can adopt an American accent (even geographically specific accents) with seeming ease, yet American actors so often fail miserably when attempting any semblance of a "British" accent?

Amen.  Last one I heard was Don Cheadle in Ocean's Eleven.  I immediately wrote an apology note to Dick Van Dyke. On the other hand, I remember watching the Waldorf Salad episode of Fawlty Towers and getting totally confused when the actor "mispronounced" one word and suddenly became British, right before my eyes.  But what an accent!

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

My response too when I saw it in the cinema a while back. 

I'll back those comments.

On 8/29/2016 at 6:12 AM, duaneiac said:

Why is it most British actors can adopt an American accent (even geographically specific accents) with seeming ease, yet American actors so often fail miserably when attempting any semblance of a "British" accent?  

I'm not sure that this is true, but if it is, couldn't it be something to do with the amount of exposure we get in Britain to American media, in contrast to the rarity of British media in the US?