Sonny Clark Leapin' and Lopin'

fasstrack

I also look at his evolution in terms of geography and lifestyle, like once he moved east and settled into that lifestyle and didn't really need to leave toen, so to speak, his playing got more "hardcore" as would be proper, big areas in little spaces, that's what's there, so do that.

Or maybe it was just a Blue Note thing, the settings he was afforded. Lord knows, the Time record with Max, everybody remarks how beboppy that one is, unlike the other BN sides, but why was that? Maybe he was clean for a second, maybe Max was vibing him, maybe  Albert Lion was not having expectations, who knows. All i know is that when i first heard earlier Sonny Clark, with DeFranco, uh...There was another guy named Sonny Clark, right?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blessed are the ubiquitipocket compers :D

3 hours ago, fasstrack said:

he was adaptable as an accompanist, too. he recorded nicely with jimmy raney, and adapted to his much gentler approach to swinging. i feel one real crucible for accompaniment is one's work with singers, especially getting down to brass tacks in a duo setting. there's nowhere to hide there, and you can hear a superior accompanist set up tempos and renditions with intros, anticipate, answer when the singer stops, 'hear around the corner', and bring the singer out generally. i never heard sonny clark with a singer. that would be interesting as hell...

he was adaptable as an accompanist, too. he recorded nicely with jimmy raney, and adapted to his much gentler approach to swinging. i feel one real crucible for accompaniment is one's work with singers, especially getting down to brass tacks in a duo setting. there's nowhere to hide there, and you can hear a superior accompanist set up tempos and renditions with intros, anticipate, answer when the singer stops, 'hear around the corner', and bring the singer out generally. i never heard sonny clark with a singer. that would be interesting as hell...

You've still got that dumb phone.

16 hours ago, robertoart said:

Blessed are the ubiquitipocket compers :D

You've still got that dumb phone.

It's a 'stupidphone'. What do you expect for $30? ;)

On 16/05/2016 at 11:44 PM, BillF said:

I guess multiples are in.

Andy-Warhol-32-Soup-Cans.jpg

I'm honored that you would go to such lengths :excited:. BTW, I just noticed that every soup is different. A bit slow on the uptake...

On 16/05/2016 at 11:44 PM, BillF said:

I guess multiples are in.

Andy-Warhol-32-Soup-Cans.jpg

I'm honored that you would go to such lengths :excited:. BTW, I just noticed that every soup is different. A bit slow on the uptake...

This is the correct cover for Jimmy Raney, Sonny Clark: Together, BTW: https://www.google.com/search?q=jimmy+raney+sonny+clark+together&biw=1280&bih=702&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDtpbHgeTMAhUMcz4KHfLnCt4Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=Q2wPvLdGY3aZ4M%3A

4 hours ago, BillF said:

I blame Andy Warhol. ;)

This is the correct cover for Jimmy Raney, Sonny Clark: Together, BTW: https://www.google.com/search?q=jimmy+raney+sonny+clark+together&biw=1280&bih=702&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDtpbHgeTMAhUMcz4KHfLnCt4Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=Q2wPvLdGY3aZ4M%3A I hope he got some nice under-the-table green from Campbell's...;)