Sonny Clark Leapin' and Lopin'

fasstrack

I ordered this mainly for my old running buddy Tommy Turrentine. He sounds great, his ideas and sound. Very underrated, and so is Charlie Rouse, the tenor on the date. Sonny's tunes are very nice, too, and he was a very swinging player. I definitely recommend this...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walkin' and Lastin', Slippin'and a-Slidin', Seven Swans a-Leapin' six Lord!s a-Lopin',

FIVE GOLDEN CIRCLES

for calling Bird three French Horns to turn up for a gig and a Sonny Clark record under the tree.

RIP SONNY CLARK. RIPPIN' & ROPIN'

17 hours ago, mjzee said:

Sonny Clark's last date.  Very sad to think of what he might have accomplished if he hadn't OD'd.

Many years ago, I was talking with the record buyer at a now-defunct record store in Northampton, MA who worked with Sonny and he said that Sonny was such a heavy heroin user that it was not a question of how he would die, only when it would happen.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

God bless Tommy Turrentine.

Just in case God's blessings leave room for mortal addendum, allow me to call attention to the Tommy Turrnetine Time date with the Max Roach band of the time (Horace Parlan's on piano). Many Tommy T originals, and all in all an excellent date that seems to have been overlooked compared to the Max, Stanley T, & Sonny Clark Time albums of the same time.

Like those, I have it on an old Bainbridge CD, but unlike those, I never knew it existed until finding it, nor if it had been previously reissued on a Bainbridge LP.

71JrKzSIOaL._SL1000_.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Just in case God's blessings leave room for mortal addendum, allow me to call attention to the Tommy Turrnetine Time date with the Max Roach band of the time (Horace Parlan's on piano). Many Tommy T originals, and all in all an excellent date that seems to have been overlooked compared to the Max, Stanley T, & Sonny Clark Time albums of the same time.

Like those, I have it on an old Bainbridge CD, but unlike those, I never knew it existed until finding it, nor if it had been previously reissued on a Bainbridge LP.

71JrKzSIOaL._SL1000_.jpg

I like it better that the Stanley or Max dates.

I always liked the 3 songs from Dexter Gordon's 5/5/62 Blue Note date that were released as part of Landslide.  Turrentine had a strong, brassy tone.  Interesting band on that date: Dex, Tommy, Sir Charles Thompson on piano, Al Lucas on bass, and Willie Bobo on drums (!).  Tracks: Serenade In Blue, You Said It, Love Locked Out.  Worth checking out.

21 hours ago, mjzee said:

Sonny Clark's last date.  Very sad to think of what he might have accomplished if he hadn't OD'd.

Indeed. There's a sad little vignette with him and another user in The Jazz Loft Project. He OD'd, and they were trying to walk him around to rouse him...

21 hours ago, mjzee said:

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

I like it better that the Stanley or Max dates.

I knew Tommy very well. He had so much talent, but, candidly, was a fuckup. He was a more rounded musician than Stanley. Stanley had a great sound and style, but Tommy knew bebop very well. He could write, and sit down at the piano and play all kinds of things. He had a brilliant mind, and when lucid and straight could speak knowledgeably about many things. He was obviously well-read, from talking to him....But when we started hanging out he got 86'd out of a lot of places for disruptive behavior. Even losers fluffed him off, pitiful because he was so much better than that---and them. I think he was a scared infant inside, trying to get any kind of attention he could, which explains the acting out.

I miss Tommy a lot, but am mad at him for throwing away all that brilliance...

Indeed. There's a sad little vignette with him and another user in The Jazz Loft Project. He OD'd, and they were trying to walk him around to rouse him...

Edited by fasstrack