Columbia's "Sound of" series

clandy44

There was a third - "The Sound Of New Orleans". I don't remember what order they were released in. Offhand I'd say New Orleans - Chi Town - NY.

These were GREAT ! Espescially at the time. They presented a lot of VERY rare stuff that hadn't been around for years and in good sound for the time. Columbia and RCA were tops for sound through the 60s. Now probably everything on these boxes is available on Classics, but a straight reissue of these with the great sound that Sony has been getting lately would really be a treat for me.

I never got them when they were released in the early 60's, but I picked up the New Orleans and Chicago sets (sealed) at a used record store about ten years ago. It seems that a guy who had worked for Columbia had a bunch of promo records in his garage, and after holding on to them for years, sold them to the store. I got these two sets, Red Allen's Feeling Good (gave my old copy to a friend), and a Dick Davy comedy album. I wonder what I missed?

Columbia did some terrific box sets back then. There are 3 lps in the 2 boxes I have-Chicago is Vol 2 and Harlem is Vol 3. Makes sense that New Orleans would be Vol 1. Probably just these 3 sets. I also have The Thesaurus of Classic Jazz, another Columbia goodie. Those were the days...when Columbia cared.