Herb Lovelle

Joe

Perhaps some of you have run across this website:

http://funklet.com/

In any event, I was intrigued by Lovelle's inclusion on this list, as I've always thought of him as an occasional jazz presence. Anyway, I was curious to learn more about his work in R&B, and come to find that his Wikipedia page is actually a pretty interesting / non-standard affair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbie_Lovelle

Check out the "Testimonials" section: "These three testimonials are reports based on extensive interviews with Herb Lovelle, and are put here at the expressed request of the interviewers. They were originally uploaded in Herb's presence after he reviewed the content."

Herb Lovelle was a man of many, many talents!

Edited by Joe

After leaving the service, Herb was nagged into believing that the 9 to 5 rut was the sensible way for a family man to make a living. He accepted a position on the custodial staff at General Foods Co. in Hoboken, New Jersey, mopping the warehouse floors. In less than two years he had propelled himself into the most coveted job in the factory, mixing the flavors for JELL-O.

Beat that, Roy Haynes.

Interesting guy. I think I first heard him with Jimmy Witherspoon, on 'Blues around the clock' in '64.

Just to note that the Hayes & Laughton gospel music discography (1943-1969), only owns up to Herbie having recorded gospel music with the Clefs of Calvary and the Gate City Singers - all of that stuff on TruSound, produced by Ozzie Cadena.

MG