I Am a Woman Again: October 16, Brooklyn

AllenLowe

I AM A WOMAN AGAIN:

THE LIFE OF GLADYS BENTLEY

A musical suite composed by Allen Lowe, based on the life of a well-known New York City cabaret performer of the 1920s, a cross dresser who was pressured into disavowing her sexuality in the 1950s when she lived in California during the height of the McCarthy era; who was forced into a sham marriage with a man; and who, to salvage her career, wrote an article for Ebony Magazine in 1952 entitled I Am A Woman Again, to explain the error of her ways and announce her nuptials (which lasted only a short time). She returned to New Jersey in the 1960s and entered into an informal marriage with a women, though from there the trail runs cold. She was, however, a great and pioneering singer and piano player whose work survives most prominently in her brilliant 1920s recordings.

With: Allen Lowe, alto saxophone, compositions;  Kelly Green, piano;  Lisa Parrott, baritone saxophone; Nicole Glover, tenor saxophone; Nicole Davis, trumpet; Kevin Ray, bass;  Ray Suhy, guitar; Carolyn Castellano, drums

At: Scholes Street Studio, Sunday October 16, 2016  7 PM

375 Lorimer St, Brooklyn, NY 11206

ALL TICKETS $10   Call: 207-899-2669 for Information

bentley.jpg