Jazz Guitar Instruction

scottb

I am an intermediate type guitarist. I play for fun at the house and have only played in front of people on a couple occasions. Mostly I play classic rock and blues stuff and mainly solo in major and minor pentacostal scales ;) Just to give you an idea about my level.

Anyway, I would love to expand my playing to include more jazz. I have bought several books but have only found a one to be very helpful HOW TO PLAY SWING GUITAR from Acoustic Guitar Magazine.

My problem is that in most books, the charts included don't show fingerings and when using a chord book if you pick the wrong fingerings you could be doing some unecessary fretboard gymnastics. They always say "jazz guitarist rarely play the complete chord" but they don't show you how to finger these chord fragments which I should be playing instead. Trying to play 6 string "complete" chords at a rate of 2-4 per measure is out my ability but I don't think too many people actually play this way and if they do then I will just continue playing blues and rock and forget jazz (as far as playing goes of course.)

I saw a book yesterday that may help. It's called IT'S EASY TO FAKE JAZZ GUITAR. Kinda looked like a guitar for dummies tye thing. It seemed to give some tips for playing these partial chords and gives several fingerings for common jazz chords. Has anyone seen this one? It had a lot of other stuff that seemed pretty useless to me but the chord advice looked promising.

Any suggestions for a good book/CD to get me started?

(this post ended up being pretty long, thanks for your patience in reading it)

Hi Scott,

I'm also at that “intermediate” level, and I know how frustrating this can be.

One of the things that has helped me with comping is a two-page chord chart written by Mike DiLiddo, who I believe teaches at a college somewhere in Florida. He is also one of the guitar instructors I had last summer at the Aebersold camp. His “60 Contemporary Voicings for the Jazz Combo Guitarist” chart can be found at the end of Aebersold Vol 54, “Maiden Voyage”.

These are all four-string voicings, and usually do not have the root of the chord on the fourth string. Numerous extensions are included – for example, there are six voicings for the C major 7 chord, including C 6/9, Cma9, and Cma13. These are all “movable” forms that can be used anywhere on the fretboard.

The biggest benefit of this chart is that it FORCED me to think about where the different chord tones are in each chord form. Once you have that knowledge, it becomes easier to make alterations to the basic forms on the fly, rather than memorizing hundreds of chord forms.

Another book I've found valuable is Chords and Progressions for Jazz and Popular Guitar , by Arnie Berle.

Trying to play 6 string "complete" chords at a rate of 2-4 per measure is out my ability but I don't think too many people actually play this way and if they do then I will just continue playing blues and rock and forget jazz (as far as playing goes of course.)

Tal Farlow was a bitch with chords and could play this way like it was nothing. Unbelievable. Cut corners where you can, and when your speed builds up try adding that missing note.

Another good resource is The Ultimate Guitar Chord Big Book by Don Latarski. It's one of those big chord reference books. It is organized in a very practical manner. It includes "drop two" voicings for strings 1-4 and 2-5 which are some of those elusive jazz chords you speak of. This is a very thorough, usable reference book. Highly recommended.

In general, Arnie Berle's books are very good. Just enough theory to get you on your way, without confusing matters.

Not sure if your interested in performing solo chord melody arrangements of songs or not? It's very satisfying style to play, and you will become an authority on chord shapes. It's a necessity when performing in this style. This is really one of the best ways to discover alternate voicings of chords. It takes time, not for the faint of heart. However, it pays serious practical dividends.

One last comment. Learn how different chord types are constructed. Learn those chord formulas!!! Once you know that, you don't need any books. Your imagination will be your guide. Good luck!

Another Latarski book to check out is "Movable Guitar Chords". Instead of learning what a Bbm7 is, it will show you multiple positions for a m7 chord, and where the root, 3rd, etc is for each chord form. Very handy, and helped me change the way I think about guitar.

It's also got a handy chart at the end that shows what each chord voicing is made up of. Helpful when you know your modes.

And another book is... :g

I've got these books by Mick Goodrick; huge chord books that are very different than any others that I've seen. It details all the possible voice-leading combinations, and does so with an interesting type of notation. I honestly haven't figured out how to proceed with it, as there are really no instructions. He wants us to find our way through it ourselves, coming to our own conclusions and discoveries.

I just got an email this morning from them:

OUR NEWEST TITLE RELEASE: Factorial Rhythm: For All Instruments

Mr. Goodchord announces the release of our newest book entitled Factorial Rhythm: For All Instruments. In this book, readers will find a thorough presentation of rhythmic source materials for use in practicing, composing, arranging and performing music. This book will help the practicing musician to develop a more extensive rhythmic vocabulary, as well as improving sight-reading skills. This 80-page rhythm book was co-authored by Mick Goodrick and Mitch Haupers and contains an extensive interview between the authors, as well as an appendix with insights for practice using a metronome.

As Mick described it, "This material just 'showed up' while shedding for a duet concert with Pat Metheny here at Berklee College of Music in December 2002. And with both Mitch and I kind of 'burned-out' on the whole voice-leading thing, it just kind of took precedence."

We don't think you'll be disappointed. In our humble opinion, it is reasonably priced at $15 US (plus shipping & handling). So, check it out!

THE VOICE-LEADING BOOKS UPDATE

There have been some recent articles and reviews concerning the first two volumes of the voice-leading books. There was a very observant, supportive review by Gary Joyner in the January 2004 issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine. Follow this link to check it out: http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag133...kreview133.html

Also, Mr. Goodchord's managing partner, Mitch Haupers, was asked to write a series of articles for Keyboard Magazine introducing the voice-leading material to keyboard players. The articles were featured in September 2003 and January 2004 (Mr. Goodchord Goes Keyboard: Parts 1 & 2). Senior editor for Keyboard Magazine, Ernie Rideout, says the success of these articles can be shown by the huge response from readers awaiting further installments. But, we're just happy to get keyboard players into the material!

In these articles, you will find some very insightful ideas for working with the voice-leading material from, not only the author, but from Yellowjackets keyboardist/composer Russell Ferrante and others. You can reach the Keyboard Magazine back issues department at: 1.800.444.4881

WAITING FOR MR. GOODCHORD: Mr. Goodchord¹s Almanac of Guitar Voice-Leading for the Year 2001 and Beyond: Volume III

Of course, the big question from our customers has been "WHEN IS VOLUME 3 GOING TO BE RELEASED?!" The release of the final book in the series, Mr. Goodchord¹s Almanac of Guitar Voice-Leading for the Year 2001 and Beyond, Volume III: Beyond the Mother Lode, is due in fall 2004. Bookmark our site for updates and details on its program: www.mrgoodchord.com

All the best to you from us at Mr. Goodchord Publications!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, I never got much out of books. I'm bandstand-educated like most musicians. Find better players who are also nice people to kick your ass and inspire you. I approached Chuck Wayne when I was like 20 and Jimmy Raney a few years later. I'm sure glad I did. Also played, almost daily in the beginning with Eddie Diehl for over 20 years. That's how I learned, and i absorbed some of those guys' concepts (especially Jimmy and Eddie---they were much more what I wanted in my own playing, though Chuck was absolutely beautiful with me, completely giving and generous, and one of the greatest guitarists to pick up the instrument. He was involved after years of study and thought with the guitar as an end in itself. I just wanted to get into music and never minded taking the hit from guitarists who thought my technique less than stellar. Hell, I agree). Now I'm becoming my own man, or trying anyway. It takes a long time. I'm almost 50.

However, as pedagogical materials go, there are some fine ones out there. Johnny Smith's comprehensive method is just that. It's a very good way to learn get around the instrument and harmony, too. Also, he's one of the few players thoughful and bright enough to see the obvious: guitar's lowest note is a concert E one ledger line below the bass clef---and as such, guitar music makes much more sense written on two staves.

Also, there are some intermediate Aebersolds that are OK. The blues one sounds just on the level you need. But I recommend much more practicing with records. If you look at it right it's almost like communing with the spirits of the greats. Get something with a burning rhythm section. Put on a Basie record and Freddie Green along with Freddie Green. Trade 4s with Bird. Comp for Carmen.

Best yet, I repeat: there's no substitute for human bandstand interaction. Find some good players. Pick their brains. Ask to sit in-----ONLY in situations where it's cool. (in other words, be sensitive to what's happening and what the musicians may be going through, and how deep the water is). Musicians, by and large, are among the most giving and generous people on earth---especiallyif they see you're talented, or even sincere.

Just be humble.

Hope it helped some. All the best.