Ray Barretto - A Tribute to Art Blakey

bertrand

I saw that Ray Barretto is bringing his Art Blakey tribute to the Kennedy Center on 3/19. I noticed that the CD has four Shorter tunes and a Lee Morgan tune (and 'Frere Jacques' ???), so I was kind of tempted to go see this.

Any opinions on the CD or the live band (if anyone has seen it)? Is this a good Blakey tribute or is it kind of hokey? I sort of want to decide today because I will be there tonight so I could buy a ticket onsite and avoid the phone-charge fee.

Thanks in advance,

Bertrand.

Tickets purchased (for the second show). Thanks for the recommendation. I'm especially looking forward to hear how they treat the Shorter tunes. I'm also very impressed that they dug up 'Buh's Bossa' - this is a very rare Morgan track from Soul Finger which is not covered too often.

Tonight, I'm going to go see Ron Blake with Christian McBride, David Gilmore and Teeron Gully. Gully is killer, for anyone who's ever seen him!

Bertrand.

Trumpeter John Bailey in the Barretto band is a friend who came out of East Lansing, went to Blue Lake as a kid, before Eastman, lessons with Woody Shaw, some serious time with Ira Sullivan, and for the last several years with Barretto. Would love to hear him again. Hope he's smokin' . Best, Lazaro