Montgomery Brothers "Almost Forgotten"

Hardbopjazz

Interesting. I don't recall whether I've ever come across this information before (not even in Adrian Ingram's bio/discography of Wes), and I've been a jazz guitar fanatic for years. A search turned this up in at least two sources on the web, and although they seem fairly reliable, I would reserve just a touch of doubt, since this info was not mentioned by Ingram. Perhaps some of our members with extensive discographical resources can offer info as to whether Lord and others list this session:

Almost Forgotten - Various-Instrumentalists / various artistsĀ  (Columbia FC 38509)

Alonzo Johnson (ts) Buddy Montgomery (p) Wes Montgomery (g) Monk Montgomery ( b ) Robert Johnson (d)

NYC, June 15, 1955

Love for Sale

So yes, it was a compilation, apparently with only one track including the Montgomerys.

========

Edit:

It just occurred to me that this is listed in an old (1991) Japanese discography collection called "Jazz Hero's Data Bank", which further tempers my doubt about this being accurate. The Ingram book dates from 1985, BTW, and I don't know whether this info was available to him at that time...

Edited by Jim R

This was indeed a compilation with only this one track of the Montgomery Brothers. It probably was an audition session for Columbia, who didn't sign them - they ended up recording their first albums for Pacific Jazz. There were probably more titles recorded that remain unissued.

A nice track, but not indispensable.

This was indeed a compilation with only this one track of the Montgomery Brothers. It probably was an audition session for Columbia, who didn't sign them - they ended up recording their first albums for Pacific Jazz. There were probably more titles recorded that remain unissued.

A nice track, but not indispensable.

I wish I could find out what else might have been recorded for Columbia. I would like to think it was a full session and not just 1 track. I wonder if someone has a discography for Columbia and could check.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't Wes and his brothers record together frequently?

Yes they did in the early years. Wes then went out on his own. But this album, "Almost Forgotten" contains a track from an LP which they did for Columbia. They never signed with that label. I wonder if the album could be released, since it was recorded by a label they weren't signed to?