Wes Montgomery - 'Round About Midnight

GA Russell

I have a Wes Montgomery cassette I bought cheap at Big Lots ten years ago called 'Round About Midnight. It is on the Golden Circle label.

The tracks are:

'Round About Midnight

Impressions

Here's That Rainy Day

The Girl Next Door

Mr. Walker

4 On 6

Can anybody tell me anything about this album? Who is on it (the Wynton Kelly trio, maybe?) and when and where it was recorded? Some of the tracks are live in concert. The title track has a saxophone.

I also have a the same copy of the title track on a sampler CD I purchased in the mid-90s called The Message, which is on the (British) Affinity label and at least some of whose songs are from the Bethlehem catalogue.

I suspect that this album has been available on a CD on something other than the Golden Circle label, and hope one of you is familiar with it!

That looks like the tunes from the Paris Theatre des Champs-Elysees concert back in March 1965 with Wes Montgomery and Johnny Griffin. Rhythm section was Harold Mabern, Arthur Harper and Jimmy Lovelace. This was originally a bootleg from the BYG label that was reissued on LP by Affinity. More tracks from that concert (including 'Full House' and 'Blue 'N Boogie' with Griffin came out on another French bootleg CD FCD'Esoldun 'Wes Montgomery Live in Paris 1965'.

If you listen close enough you should hear me clapping from the audience. Was lucky to attend that concert.

That looks like the tunes from the Paris Theatre des Champs-Elysees concert back in March 1965 with Wes Montgomery and Johnny Griffin. Rhythm section was Harold Mabern, Arthur Harper and Jimmy Lovelace. This was originally a bootleg from the BYG label ........

I've had that BYG double LP for many years and I find that it's my favorite Wes recording. Really swinging throughout.....a great live set. :tup

There is also a 3:30 minute video tape with Wes Montegomery playing "Impressions" with his quartet in a belgian TV studio in 1965. Superbly captured picture and sound, with close-up showing Wes' fast but relaxed fingerwork. It is or was available on an italian "VIDJAZZ" VHS collection (probably bootleg, but very good quality).