Grachan Moncur's "New Africa"

HWright

One old album that I've always been curious about is Grachan Moncur's "New Africa" (1969). I see that it can be special-ordered as an import (French?). I wonder if anyone who has the album (either as LP or CD) would care to comment on the session. How does it compare to Moncur's other work? To Moncur's work with Archie Shepp?

Also, I understand that there is a second Moncur session the most recent CD reissue and any comments on it would be welcome also ( "Aco dei de Madrugada").

Is this material of Moncur's work worth going out of one's way to pick up? Is it really pick-up-able on CD anyway? Or only as an LP?

Thanks.

Edited by HWright

Another yes for 'New Africa'. Interesting session that has Roscoe Mitchell and Archie Shepp (on one number) plus a rhythm section of Dave Burrell, Alan Silva and Andrew Cyrille. Excellent!

Not overly fond of Moncur's other date for Byg. Have not listened to that one in a very long time and don't feel the need to dig that one up for reappraisal.

"New aFrica" is a great session. I got it on LP recently, a 2002 pressing from the italian Get Back label, licensed from Charly. The sound is very bad, I think it has been dubbed from vinyl.

I've also seen a CD with the two Moncur BYG session together.

Edited by Claude

• 3 weeks later...

An update:

I got my copy of the Grachan Moncur CD in the mail. Having listened to it a few times, I can say that I like it. Moncur does some great soloing on the "New Africa" suite and the rhythm section of Burrell/Silva/Cyrille is dynamite. Rosco Mitchell on reeds sounds a little less "out" than on his own albums of the period. The second date is a little less interesting, but Moncur gets in some good playing there too.

For those who can't get hold of this fairly rare disc, Archie Shepp's "The Way Ahead" CD ** is worth checking out. Moncur plays on the whole album and Shepp uses two of Moncur's compositions, "Frankenstein" (the Moncur tune done by Jackie McLean on "One Step Beyond") and "New Africa," which is presumably a version of the first movement of the suite heard on Moncur's own album.

**= the "Way Ahead" CD contains bonus tracks from Archie Shepp's "Kwanza" album which has not otherwise been re-released, as far as I know. "Kwanza," based on what the AMG says, came out in 1974 and may be an out-take album. Not having heard its entire contents, I'm not sure what to make of their comment: "Important document musically and for people who need information about the traditional African Holy Week." Anyone know where the other tracks came from?

**= the "Way Ahead" CD contains bonus tracks from Archie Shepp's "Kwanza" album which has not otherwise been re-released, as far as I know. "Kwanza," based on what the AMG says, came out in 1974 and may be an out-take album. Not having heard its entire contents, I'm not sure what to make of their comment: "Important document musically and for people who need information about the traditional African Holy Week." Anyone know where the other tracks came from?

'Kwanza' was indeed released in 1974.

Tracks listing:

side 1,

Back Back

Spoo Pee Doo

New Africa

side 2,

Slow Drag

Bakai

The tunes were recorded at various sessions in September 1968, February and August 1969.

What are the bonus tracks you mention?

The CD issue of The Way Ahead includes "New Africa" and "Bakai." Seeing as how they probably won't reissue Kwanzaa, it's probably the only way to get those two tracks on disc. The version of "New Africa" is particularly nice. I looove The Way Ahead.

I'll second the lackluster material on Madrugada, though I do like the first song a lot.