Which laptops have the biggest f@#$ing speakers?

Dmitry

I got a nice Compaq with 15" screen, but the speakers are so tiny and under-powered that listening to music or playing dvds w/out headphones is almost impossible.

We're set to buy one for my wife, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience in that matter.

Edited by Dmitry

Dmitry,

I know nothing about laptops, but just be careful if you're shopping in Brooklyn. There's a lot of places that advertise incedibly low prices but specialize in bait & switch tactics. One place on Coney Island Avenue(I think the name is Sunshine, they're right near the Kent movie theater) was actually nailed and paid a fine. Be wary...

One place on Coney Island Avenue(I think the name is Sunshine, they're right near the Kent movie theater) was actually nailed and paid a fine. Be wary...

I know that place. :g It used to be called Crazy Eddie's about 10 years ago [Eddie got busted and ran off to Israel, then was extradited back to Brooklyn, I think], then the same place was called I forget what, another appliance joint, now it's probably something else.

I bit my Brooklyn bullet a long time ago, when I was shopping for some photo equipment.

Now I do all my electronics shopping on-line.

Places like www.pricegrabber.com ...

through work, over the last 8 or so years, i've used various gateway, toshiba, dell and ibm notebooks. (i'm currently using a dell latitude 600 and a ibm thinkpad.) none of them have worthwhile speaker systems. i advise spending $50-$100 on a separate speaker/sub system (creative labs, altec lansing, jbl, etc.). they make a world of difference.

Blake, which laptop in the vicinity of $1000-1200 would you recommend?

in that price range (and let me be clear in saying that all my comments apply only to machines in the $1,000-1,200 price range.) i'd start with dell. i suspect dell will deliver the best combination of performance, battery life and monitor quality at that price. plus it'll be wireless network ready. the only potential drawback is the dell will be pretty bulky. but i'm guessing that since you mentioned not wanting to use headphones that portability isn't your first concern.

check gateway too. their offering is priced inexpensively, offers decent performance (though not in dell's league) and is very portable. definitely no bells and whistles. for instance, i don't think they come wireless ready. but very solid for the price.

toshiba generally offers excellent performance. i'm not very familiar with what i guess would be the "satellite" series at that price point. i'd look into it if i were shopping around.

i don't think hp/compaq and ibm can compete at that price point. both start inexpensively enough, but by the time you add the necessary options/upgrades i'm guessing you'll find yourself in the $1,500 range.