Louis Armstrong with Edmond Hall all-stars??

BERIGAN

Well, that is what I think popped up on my Dish Network digital radio....I just caught the last half of the song, I think it said it was from 1947, it was a version of Tiger Rag, with a shall we say very energetic drum solo? :ph34r: I was wondering if it might be Lionel Hampton on drums, sounded like his style. Never heard of Lionel ever playing with Louis, did I miss it? How many questions can I ask in a few lines anyway? :huh: Anywho, allmusic shows 594 versions of Tiger Rag, and most seem to be by Louis...Didn't find a mention of Louis/Edmond Hall cd in the general page on Louis there...but sometimes they mess titles/subtitles up on their site...so, anyone know the 411????

Edited by BERIGAN

This is likely the material that was out on Drive Archive cd about ten years ago. I think it has Sid Catlett on drums. Hamp and Louis played together in the early days, when Lionel was still part of the Frank Sebastion Orchestra in L. A. and did that session with a vibes selection that is (disputedly) claimed as the first jazz vibes recording. . . . But no, he wasn't in the drum chair in 1947! I'll see if I can dig up personnel listings for that recording.

This is likely the material that was out on Drive Archive cd about ten years ago.  I think it has Sid Catlett on drums.  Hamp and Louis played together in the early days, when Lionel was still part of the Frank Sebastion Orchestra in L. A. and did that session with a vibes selection that is (disputedly) claimed as the first jazz vibes recording. . . . But no, he wasn't in the drum chair in 1947!  I'll see if I can dig up personnel listings for that recording.

Egad, forgot all about the early days with them playing in La la Land! :winky:

With Paul Howard, right? I guess I was just thinking 40's on, it would seem like they would be naturals together, except for ego issues...

Chris, what are you holding back on us???? :o

Edited by BERIGAN

If it was Tiger Rag from 1947 with Edmond Hall, it could have been the Carnegie Hall concert from February. In that case, it would have been Jimmy Crawford on drums.

This was indeed released on Drive Archive as "Struttin' " I don't play the CD much as the sound suffers from very bad tape drag. The pitch just swirls around and around. Does anybody know if there is a better sound source for this concert?

Edited by John L

Berigan, after the Paul Howard band Hamp was in Frank Sebastian's Cotton Club Orchestra which backed Louis in his California appearances and recordings in his first blushes of huge national fame.

John, I've never found a better source for that. Thanks for mentioning that it was Jimmy Crawford. I haven't dug that cd out in a long time. . . for the same reason you outlined.

The full line-up for the Edmond Hall Sextet was Armstrong, Mouse Randolph, tp, Henderson Chambers, tb, Hall, cl, Charles Bateman, p, Johnny Williams, b, Jimmy Crawford, dr. This was recorded at Carnegie Hall February 8, 1947.

Parts of the concert were released on various bootlegs. Interested in hearing that concert in good sound and complete.

Found this information from the Red Hot Jazz web site:

In July of 1930 Louis Armstrong moved to California and "fronted" the Les Hite's Orchestra. It was renamed Louis Armstrong's Sebastian New Cotton Club Orchestra, after a club on Washington Blvd. in Culver City, California where the band played. Armstrong's engagement there was a great success and he stayed at the nightclub until March of 1931. While in California, Louis and drummer Vic Berton, and Frank Driggs were busted by undercover cops for smoking a marijuana cigarette in the parking lot of the club. Louis spent nine days in jail for this misdemeanor. The band also featured a young Lionel Hampton on drums and vibes. "If I Could Be With You" is one of Armstrong's greatest recordings, his vocals and trumpet playing are truly touching.

Interesting info guys!

Well, hadn't put the jazz station on since this afternoon, and the 2-3 song that played was Back O' Town Blues, same record! So, I saw it was from the Forlane label, and that brought up this cd... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...7753398-2328116

Now, to my ears, the sound was not that bad on my TV speakers, but terrible thru the various media players at amazon...plus, the cd is out of print as well...but might be worth finding used.