Which is you favirote Standards album from BN

Hardbopjazz

Of the 1998 Blue Note standard releases, which is your favorite.  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love that Lee Morgan disc, and (perhaps just as importantly), my wife seems to like it quite a bit too. She normally doesn't go for jazz with horn soloists, but that Lee Morgan "Standards" disc is so melodic, even when Lee's soloing - that she doesn't mind when I put it on.

I know it won't win any awards for best Lee Morgan album, but I sure do like it.

I voted for the Morgan. It was a thrill to get such a great CD of previously unissued material. The Three Sounds was also p.i., the Jimmy Smith was about half p.i., while the Clark and the Green had been released years before on Japanese vinyl ("Remembering Grant Green" and Clark's Trio volumes). I never thought the Green was among his best.

I'd probably give second place to the Smith, with all those p.i. tracks with Burrell.

I think the Umlaut is missing, Lon. :D

I haven't played these for a long time, except the Three Sounds one, which gets my vote both for being very good, and for making available previously unissued material. But I recall really enjoying the Morgan CD. Really, they're all very good.

Even though he's pretty well represented in my collection, I would not call myself a big Jimmy Smith fan. Nonetheless, I voted for his "Standards" BN. I chose to approach this like AMG approaches their CD ratings, i.e. stars are granted and relative worth measured only in the context of a given performer's body of work. I know I may pinch a lot of nerves by saying this, but outside of "Crazy, Baby", I'd rather listen to "Standards" than just about anything else Jimmy Smith has done. I really think it's one of his better efforts.

Up over and out.

I was going to mention, five tracks on the Smith were originally released on the (LT series) LP "ON THE SUNNY SIDE". I like the fact that the whole CD is Smith/Burrell/Bailey, even though from three different sessions.

Edited by Jim R