AOW, March 21-28: Hank Jones, Upon Reflection

Nate Dorward

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me far longer than I originally intended (close to three years), but I finally obtained a copy of this recording and gave it a couple of initial spins while driving yesterday. Wonderful music! Now I am mad at myself for delaying to get this one for so long.

Edited by relyles

I've been away on vacation ( a short one ) and came back to this AOTW. I've owned it since its release and being a huge Jones Bros. fan loved it from the first listen. I'll give another shout for Tommy Flannagan's Let's. I don't have a lot of Thad's albums, but I love his songs. I haven't heard the album in a while so it's definitely time to give it another listen. I'll put it at the front of the line for early morninig listening tomorrow. I think it's the Flanagan and Hank album that really made me listen and understand Thad's compositions. I'm not the biggest fan of big band, which is one of the reasons I haven't jumped on Thad's dates with Mel Lewis. I recently picked up Thad's Detroit-New York Junction album and highly recomend it to people who are hungary for more of his music. I have the Elvin Jones album mentioned that has the brothers on it too and it is quite excellent. Someone mentioned George Mraz's bass playing and I whole heartedlly agree. He's an amazing player, one of my favorites. If you don't have any of his solo albums, you should check them out. They are outstanding. I'll try to comment more after my listening tomorrow morning.

Great choice and once again, thanks to everyone here who makes me pull out albums I own that I haven't heard in a while. With so many choices, it's easy to let one slip for far too long.

Edited by six string