Yoshi's

RainyDay

My favorite columnist writing about my favorite jazz club.

JON CARROLL

Jon Carroll

Friday, March 19, 2004

©2004 San Francisco Chronicle | Feedback | FAQ

URL: sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/03/19/DDG3F5MKEP1.DTL

So last week someone showed up at Yoshi's and said he was me. I'm almost certain it wasn't me because I would have remembered going to see Mose Allison. I would have shouted out, "Do 'Seventh Son'!," which would have embarrassed everyone.

The guy from Yoshi's e-mailed me the next day. Apparently he had felt forced to give the guy a seat when the guy complained there'd been a mix-up about his free tickets.

It's nice to know that I can get free tickets by claiming a mix-up. It just never occurred to me. I really should get more out of this being me thing than I have.

The guy could have just asked. If I weren't being me that evening, he could have been me; one of us might as well have a good time. But being me without permission: That's really a breach of etiquette. Suppose he'd walked into a liquor store and said, "I'm Jon Carroll; give me all your money." They would have had to do it, of course -- such is the power of the press. But they would have complained later.

"Dear Reader's Representative: Are columnists really allowed to hold up liquor stores by brandishing their names? My wife and I were outraged. What if my young daughter had been forced to watch that? Signed, Burned by the Liberal Media."

Part of the problem is that I look like half the people in the East Bay. It's a wonder that concert halls aren't filled with me every night. (Actually, I went to Alvin Ailey last week at Zellerbach, and it was pretty much filled with me. Some of me were African American. It's my commitment to diversity.)

If I were Spokane's oddest columnist, this kind of thing would not have happened. The only people who look like me in Spokane are squatters, survivalists and meth lab owners -- none of whom are in the Mose Allison demographic. But here, I'm a damn archetype. I should hire myself out to appear in police lineups.

But then someone would pick me out, and the next thing I knew I'd be accused of shooting a man in Reno just to watch him die. I'd be stuck in Folsom Prison. I'd walk the line. I seem to have entered a prose cul de sac here -- bear with me as I back slowly away from the verb.

There. I grappled with the problem of what to do about all the maxi-me's showing up at venues. On the one hand, I could get a reputation for being a man-about-town. On the other hand, I might be victimized by frivolous paternity suits.

So I gave the people at Yoshi's a special sekrit password so that they would know if I were I the next time I came there. So I say "beware" to the impostor of me. No more will you lay waste the countryside with your "mix-ups. "

So I was talking to my garbage man last week. This is the real me now. He had a small broom and a dustpan, and he was sweeping the street. I bet you didn't know garbage men do that. There's a lot you don't know, little missy.

"It's those Styrofoam peanuts," he said. "People just pour them into their trash cans, and when we empty them, the damn peanuts just fly all over the place. And we have to sweep them up."

"You do?"

"Can you imagine the complaints if we didn't? Whole street awash in these peanuts, and of course it would be our fault. It's always our fault. And I'm not getting overtime for this" -- he held out the broom -- "and it's not exactly fun."

He suggested that I put my Styrofoam peanuts in a bag from now on, just as I would my other kinds of garbage. How he found out they were my peanuts I don't know. I said there'd been a mix-up, but apparently he'd heard that story before.

He soothed me, though. "It's not just you," he said. "It's all you guys." I knew whom he meant: the legion of me, sneaking into concerts and spreading peanuts everywhere. I'm going to get a TRO preventing me from coming within a hundred yards of me. That'll show me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you take

one lesson away

from this column,

it should be this:

Secure your

Styrofoam peanuts

inside tightly

locked bags.

Thank you.

You think I make this stuff up? It's all true. It's a day in the life of jcarroll@sfchronicle.com.

I wish I could share a Yoshi's experience, but as close as I am, I've never been there. Not being a driver means that I'd have to either get a room somewhere for the night, or convince my wife to go as well. Unless Stan Getz shows up somehow and promises only to do samba stuff, the latter is unlikely...

I caught Ahmad Jamal last week. Idris Muhammad was on drums and I ddn't catch the name of the bass player, sadly, because he was wonderful.

I saw Jamal 1.5 years ago at the SF Jazz Festival and was just knocked out by him. He delivered the goods again at Yoshi's last week. Terrific set. One of my first jazz records was a Jamal LP that I played to death. Can't even recall the name of it. I have a very soft spot for Jamal. Incredible musician.

Yoshi's is a great place to people watch. When I purchased my ticket for Jamal the night before the gig, I saw Mayor Jerry Brown's number one henchman talking to a muckty-muck from the Port, who is angling to be the new executive director. Very animated conversation. Pretty sure the muckty-muck isn't getting the job.

Edited by RainyDay

Guest ariceffron

yoshis is not that great. yeah i know they book good shows but its still hell to go there. at the jazzalley in seattle you call or email and make a reservation, show up, get a table thats free, and pay your tab at the end. at yoshis they come up behind you 10 min before the end right when theres a good solo and they give the "what would you like for your 2nd drink" speech (ala catalinas) however it usually doesnt involve drinks but paying the bill 10 min before the show is over.....but im getting sidetracked- point #1 is you have to pay for tix in advance like a real concert. that is rediculous. yes i grant it that i did get 2 see jackie and booby there but nevertheless yoshis is weak. i dont care if its nice. plus its in oakland. the only cool thing about yoshis is that there is a santa fe line running 6 ft from the door so its kind of surreal to see the train go buy-- amtrak goes on it too i believe but thats not as trippy as the U pac or St. fe or whateve rthe hell it is.

It's also a great place to meet people. Unless you are a party of 4, you will probably have to share a table or booth with someone else. You always end up talking.

True. I usually meet interesting people and have some great talks about jazz. I even run into long lost friends. They also have really good food.

• 2 years later...

I'm not a Yoshi's fan, but obviously some folks are. And so, the latest news on SF Location (I hadn't seen a date before I saw this article):

DAILY DATEBOOK

With major venue set to open in S.F., the year looks promising for jazz

Daniel King

10 January 2007

The San Francisco Chronicle

© 2007 Hearst Communications Inc., Hearst Newspapers Division. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All Rights Reserved.

It's tough to know exactly when jazz highlights will pop up in the Bay Area, in part because the big arrivals and hot tickets tend to be last-minute bookings. Unlike rock and classical performers, jazz musicians don't normally book months in advance. So consider this roundup a basic sketch of Bay Area jazz '07 -- whom to stalk, where to look and when to buy tickets.

The talker so far? Yoshi's in San Francisco. Come July, the Oakland presenter's second active stage -- its first outside the East Bay -- will have legs. Whether Yoshi's 2.0 will fit in depends on the club's outreach to local musicians, out-of-towners' contracts with the festivals, whispers between bandleaders and, yes, the economic viability of jazz's brush with hip-hop. Place your bets.

I'm not a Yoshi's fan, but obviously some folks are. And so, the latest news on SF Location (I hadn't seen a date before I saw this article):

DAILY DATEBOOK

With major venue set to open in S.F., the year looks promising for jazz

Daniel King

10 January 2007

The San Francisco Chronicle

© 2007 Hearst Communications Inc., Hearst Newspapers Division. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All Rights Reserved.

It's tough to know exactly when jazz highlights will pop up in the Bay Area, in part because the big arrivals and hot tickets tend to be last-minute bookings. Unlike rock and classical performers, jazz musicians don't normally book months in advance. So consider this roundup a basic sketch of Bay Area jazz '07 -- whom to stalk, where to look and when to buy tickets.

The talker so far? Yoshi's in San Francisco. Come July, the Oakland presenter's second active stage -- its first outside the East Bay -- will have legs. Whether Yoshi's 2.0 will fit in depends on the club's outreach to local musicians, out-of-towners' contracts with the festivals, whispers between bandleaders and, yes, the economic viability of jazz's brush with hip-hop. Place your bets.

I wonder if this new venue will just cannibalize business from the first.

Guy

I wouldn't be surprised is it cannibalizes a little. But I think there are plenty of people in SF (tourists, business travelers) who simply wouldn't/don't go to Oakland. There are probably some East Bay people willing to cross the bridge for a concert; they'll be the cannibalizers, I suppose. But with careful booking, this might be avoided. Don't book a couple of veteran hard boppers against each other. Book some jazz-lite type in SF when Cedar Walton's in Oakland.

I wouldn't be surprised is it cannibalizes a little. But I think there are plenty of people in SF (tourists, business travelers) who simply wouldn't/don't go to Oakland. There are probably some East Bay people willing to cross the bridge for a concert; they'll be the cannibalizers, I suppose. But with careful booking, this might be avoided. Don't book a couple of veteran hard boppers against each other. Book some jazz-lite type in SF when Cedar Walton's in Oakland.

There are surely scarier parts of Oakland. There's literally a police station some two or three blocks away from the club, and it's right in the middle of a fairly major commercial area. There should be minimal concern so long as you're willing to pay the Taxi fare...

Now, if the concern isn't safety and it's some elitist "I'll never go to Oakland thing", than screw'em. Music for the faithful.

My point wasn't that Oakland or Jack London Square area are scary, just not on visitors' 'radar screens'. How many people visit "New York" and never leave Manhattan? Or think that New York IS Manhattan. San Francisco has lots of diversions. Hard core jazz enthusiasts will certainly be willing to make the trek (as they do to Amoeba), but a fair portion of Yoshi's clientele seems to be business travelers with expense accounts looking for a pleasant evening (perhaps including dinner) with a client or spouse substitute.

but a fair portion of Yoshi's clientele seems to be business travelers with expense accounts looking for a pleasant evening (perhaps including dinner) with a client or spouse substitute.

In all the years I've been going to Yoshi's at its various locations I've never noticed that!

Double Ditto. I am a regular at Yoshi's either in the club or in the restaurant., or both. I went to see Buster Williams on Monday and Orrin Keepnews was there, as he often is, and the guy with the long white ponytail and his wife were there, also regulars. I see familiar faces in there every time I go. Too bad PBW doesn't post here because it would be interesting to get his opinion since he works there. I rarely go on the weekend so I don't know what that's like. I would assume there are more jazz tourists on the weekend.

I hear people trashing Yoshi's often and I can never get to the reason why. I can't tell you how many jazz artists have stood on that stage and proclaimed their love for the club: Terence Blanchard, McCoy and others. The owners and staff treat the talent very well and it's a nice clean, well managed venue. I didn't make it to many shows last year but I'm already gearing up for 2007. I joke that it is my second home and that I should have Yoshi's taking payroll deductions from me. I feel blessed to have a world class jazz club just a couple miles from my home.

Edited by RainyDay

but a fair portion of Yoshi's clientele seems to be business travelers with expense accounts looking for a pleasant evening (perhaps including dinner) with a client or spouse substitute.

In all the years I've been going to Yoshi's at its various locations I've never noticed that!

Double Ditto. I am a regular at Yoshi's either in the club or in the restaurant., or both. I went to see Buster Williams on Monday and Orrin Keepnews was there, as he often is, and the guy with the long white ponytail and his wife were there, also regulars. I see familiar faces in there every time I go. Too bad PBW doesn't post here because it would be interesting to get his opinion since he works there. I rarely go on the weekend so I don't know what that's like. I would assume there are more jazz tourists on the weekend.

I hear people trashing Yoshi's often and I can never get to the reason why. I can't tell you how many jazz artists have stood on that stage and proclaimed their love for the club: Terence Blanchard, McCoy and others. The owners and staff treat the talent very well and it's a nice clean, well managed venue. I didn't make it to many shows last year but I'm already gearing up for 2007. I joke that it is my second home and that I should have Yoshi's taking payroll deductions from me. I feel blessed to have a world class jazz club just a couple miles from my home.

I don't how scary Oakland is to people in the Bay Area because I meet people from all over the Bay Area when I go. I sat with people from San Ramon on Monday night. It's really annoying to read comments from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I don't how scary Oakland is to people in the Bay Area because I meet people from all over the Bay Area when I go. I sat with people from San Ramon on Monday night. It's really annoying to read comments from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

And the woman from the San Ramon couple was a fearsome jazz fan. She hadn't missed a Monterey Festival in decades and went to San Jose every year until she moved from the South Bay. These were not jazz tourists.

• 3 weeks later...

Kenny Garrett and Bobby Hutcherson at Yoshi's through the weekend. Interesting pairing. Both are in very fine form. Garrett found another great drummer and Benito Gonzalez on piano will scare you to death.

The Monterey Bay calamari melts in your mouth and you can order it in the club. If you have dinner and it's on the menu, get the lobster tempura. Just sinful.

Oh, and I sat with a guy from Sacramento who is the music director for the Sac'to jazz station. He came down just for the set and was driving back that night. David G: Your ears should have been burning because I told him I had an acquaintenance with a guy who drives up and back from Monterey for sets at Yoshi's. I don't know how you all do it.

Edited by RainyDay

I, for one, am looking forward to having a Yoshi's in San Francisco. I'll even be able to take the 38 Geary bus to it!

Boy, not me. There's no way I'd be waiting for the #38 at 9:30PM. You are braver than I am. The SF club is supposed to open in September or October. If they have a 2PM set on Sunday, I might make the trip. The location of the SF club is no where near regional transit and parking will be expensive and awful. The Oakand club is so much more accessible.

I, for one, am looking forward to having a Yoshi's in San Francisco. I'll even be able to take the 38 Geary bus to it!

Boy, not me. There's no way I'd be waiting for the #38 at 9:30PM. You are braver than I am. The SF club is supposed to open in September or October. If they have a 2PM set on Sunday, I might make the trip. The location of the SF club is no where near regional transit and parking will be expensive and awful. The Oakand club is so much more accessible.

This was my thoughts, although its been awhile since i have been to

the city.