What the status of live jazz where you live?

Hardbopjazz

If you want to go to see some live jazz tonight, would you be able to in your city (area)?

I live 20 miles from NYC. Just a hop on the train and I'm there. Not sure of many other cities that can offer as much jazz as NYC.

Jazz is virtually non-existent in my Little Land O'Enchantment. Even our Smoothie station dried up and blew away.

But I can offer you plenty of 'live' Country and Western.

Yippee-yo-ki-yay.

If you want to go to see some live jazz tonight, would you be able to in your city (area)?

I live 20 miles from NYC. Just a hop on the train and I'm there. Not sure of many other cities that can offer as much jazz as NYC.

Jazz is virtually non-existent in my Little Land O'Enchantment. Even our Smoothie station dried up and blew away.

But I can offer you plenty of 'live' Country and Western.

Yippee-yo-ki-yay.

Where do you live? Sounds dreadful! :(

Incidentally, Tom Rainey was the drummer at the Brad Shepik Trio show that Joe G, Upright Bill, and I caught in Grand Rapids at the UICA. The bass player was Tom Hebert, who I believe is now off playing with Andrew Hill somewhere in Europe.

Tom Rainey is amazingly active in NY. There are times I've seen him with three different groups in a week in NY. There are a cluster of venues that "downtown" types play regularly--now that Kintting Factory is dead as a jazz venue, the spots are Tonic, Cornelia Street Cafe, 55 Bar, Barbes, and the Sunday night series at CBGB's lounge.

The bass player's name is John Hebert. I just saw him on Sunday at CBGB's in a quartet with Sam Bardfield, Michael Attias & George Schuller. I've also seen Hebert with Kenny Wheeler on several occasions.

Thanks for the correction, Pete. In addition to being a great bass player, John seems to be an all-around genuinely nice guy. Upright Bill got to “talk shop” with John after the show in Grand Rapids.

I'll always remember Tom Rainey for his “bag of sticks” thing. Very interesting and effective percussive technique.

Yeah, John Hebert is definetly an up-and-comer. I first saw him in several gigs with Kenny Wheeler & Andrew Rathburn, then with Hill. I think all may have been last year, and I hadn't heard of him before then. I wonder if Colley going off to work with Hancock led Hill to find Hebert.

Long live Tom Guralnick at The Outpost Performance Space in Albuquerque.

Have recently seen Cassandra Wilson, Oliver Lake, Jessica Williams.

Coming up soon are Roswell Rudd, Bobby Bradford, Mark Turner, Marilyn Crispell.

Reasonable prices, no smoking, attentive audiences.

Frank Morgan plays once or twice a month at the Taos Inn. No cover charge.

It looks like you have a nice little scene there.. Does guitarist Bruce Dunlap ever play these clubs? he's been a friend of mine since 1976..

Bruce Dunlap is very visible in Santa Fe.

He's the director of an annual 10-14 day jazz festival which features many excellent groups.

Eddie Daniels is around from time to time also.

I was reading a newspaper the other day and noticed that greats such as Sam Rivers and Bobby Hutcherson have performed in LA recently. I'm a bit of a hermit, but I should get out and see some of these guys while I can...

Zurich, Switzerland.

One club here with almost daily concerts (usually two sets, you pay once, prizes between 15$ for local musicians and 35-40$ for big names like Abdullah Ibrahim, the Mingus Big Band). http://www.moods.ch

Then there are some other venues, mostly the same local musicians once a week, pretty boring, pretty mainstream.

One weekly jam session at a place linked to the local jazz school.

One big-budged festival, almost yearly since 1997 or 1998 (

http://www.jazznojazz.ch) - as the name says, there's a share of nojazz every year. It's usually four or five nights, three concerts, and in between two short free sets by one band each day (Goldings/Bernstein/Stewart for free!!). I saw George Coleman with Ahmad Jamal (and Idris Muhammad on drums), Charles Lloyd, Dave Douglas, Jacky Terrasson, Tom Harrell, and Shirley Horn there, also Susanne Abbüehl, Annette Peacock... maybe some others.

Pharoah Sanders has been there, Gianluigi Trovesi, Defunkt, etc. Last year they were down to easy listening jazz, with maybe Roy Ayers the only musician not being completely outside the focus of jazz fans... alright, Marcus Miller was there, too, but else, only acid jazz or easy listening fusion... hope they get their thing together for the next festival!

Then there are concerts, being organized by www.allblues.ch - usually big names and too big prizes for me.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, there is an alternative venue (they have a restaurant, theatre, rock, metal, punk etc) which has their own series of jazz concerts (Movaer and Dave Holland played there, for instance). They are also hosting (but not organizing, I think), the yearly taktlos festival (http://www.taktlos.com/

), a festival of "improvised and contemporary music". I usually go one or two days. Saw The Necks there, Supersilent, Pierre Favre/Fred van Hove...

This year, they have Larry Ochs, Barry Guy, Frank Gratkowski, among others.

At the same venue, there is also a new festival (three days), called "unerhört". It took place only the second time last fall, and it was great. I heard/saw Urs Leimgruber, Steve Lacy solo, and some more.

So there's not really a constantly vivid live scene, here, but still there's far too much for me to see anything I would like to see.

ubu

I've never been in a club (anywhere) that provides more for the money than the Jazz Showcase in Chicago. You can see all the tops names in jazz for $20.00 six nights a week and you can always stay for the second show at no cost. There are no other charges, no drink minimum and no pushy waitresses. Randissimo pointed out that Joe Segal tells it like it is. He is correct, Joe tells you to shut your phones off and shut up during the show. It's very rare if you hear a word from the audience during the show other than applause (not out of fear but out of respect for the musicians). Most of the musicians stick around for a bit after the show to B.S. or sign CD's. I've probably been there a couple hundred times and it's always much fun, as there are many regulars (as well as Joe and his son's) that I've become friends with. Our illustrious Sal is one of them, also Jim Neumann has become a very good friend over the years. Jim is the owner of Beehive Records and has a pretty good catalog of jazz in his possession. I'm on him weekly to put them out on cd, I can tell it's going to take a little more arm twisting ;) !!!

Mark

Live jazz? Are you kidding? I can't even find recorded jazz!

I went to Barnes and Nobles today (usually don't go there because of price) to pick up a new RVG or two. (Finally got my Deepdiscount order from the first March batch) Had Prayer Meetin in mind... surely they have it... right? I mean B&N isn't the best place to get your music but they carry the new releases, especially form THE jazz label.... right?

Not to be!! Not a one. The mom and pop shop I went to earlier this month to get Free Form didn't have any new releases either.

So it's official, there is nowhere in town where I can buy a newly released RVG on the day of release without asking them to order it in advance. So much for impulse shopping.

Thank God for mail order.