BFT208 The Reveal

tkeith

Track 01 - 

01bunnett.jpg

Jane Bunnett, Dewey Redman, Dean Bowman, Larry Cramer, Stanley Cowell, Kieran Overs, Mark McLean - Illusion Suite: Maimoun - Sprituals and Dedications
Dean Bowman - v; Jane Bunnett - fl, bass fl, ss; Stanley Cowell - p; Larry Cramer - tpt, flg; Mark McLean - dr; Kieran Overs - b; Dewey Redman - ts;

Cowell has long been one of my favorite composers.  I’m only slightly familiar with Bunnett’s work outside of this recording.  I know this version didn’t hit for everybody, but I like that it’s a different take on a tune that never leaves my mind.  Also, Dewey.

Track 02 -

02washington.jpg

Children's Blues -- Donald Washington -- Uknown what this is from!
Donald Washington - Children’s Blues - Album? (recorded off of radio in 1990s)
Donald Washington - clarinet, James Carter - contra bass clarinet, Cassius Richmond - alto flute, Faye Washington - flute, Sam Favors - piano, Jeff Bailey - bass, Kevin Washington - drums

Okay, so back in the day, if I couldn’t be home for my buddy Ken Eisen’s radio show, I would record it and listen to it the next day.  As I was in my late 20s/early 30s, this happened with some frequency.  While cleaning through some stuff, I found this tune.  I can find ZERO info about where this came from.  I know that Washington was one of James’ teachers and mentors, and reached out to James.  He was extremely accommodating, but is also a VERY busy guy.  Thus far, the closest I’ve found is an album of material with similar personnel who seem to all have been students of Washington, but this song is not on it.  Something about this tune just grabs me.

Track 03 -

03henderson.jpg

Eddie Henderson - Shuffle And Deal - Shuffle And Deal
Eddie Henderson - trumpet, Donald Harrison - alto saxophone, Kenny Barron - piano, Gerald Cannon - bass, Mike Clark - drums

Wanted to have something straight ahead, but new-ish, enter Eddie.  Personnel alone makes this interersting for me.  It’s not going to make anybody’s desert island collection, but it’s a pretty good record in a sea of mediocrity that I’ve heard coming out recently.  I’ve seen Eddie and Donald with The Cookers a few times now, and never been disappointed by either.

Track 04 -

04mcall.jpg

Barney McAll - Release The Day - Release The Day
Gary Bartz - alto saxophone, Peter Apfelbaum - tenor saxophone, Fabio Morgera - trumpet, Clark Gayton - trombone, Kurt Rosenwinkel - guitar, Barney McAll - keys, Tony Scherr - bass, Joey Baron - drums

Barney McAll is absolutely one of my favorite composers.  I’ve oft heard the feedback that his recordings are “too slick,” but I think there’s more to them than that (sorry, Dad).  Maybe it’s the sound, maybe is the precision, but this is NOT the music of glossy covers that couldn’t find it’s way into my playlists when I had the show.  McAll’s horn section has included, at various times, Billy Harper, Gary Bartz, and Peter Apfelbaum.  In my book, that solidifies him as for-real.  

Track 05 -

05miranda.jpg

Roberto Miranda’s Home Music Ensemble - Faith - Live at Bing Theatre, Los Angeles, 1985
Thom David Mason - as/ts/bcl, John Carter - clt, Bobby Bradford - tpt/cnt, James Newton - fl, David Bottenbley - g/v/perc, Horace Tapscott - piano, Roberto Miranda - bass, Cliff Brooks - perc, Louis Miranda - perc/v, Buddy Toscano - perc

I saw this pop-up in one of my various feeds, clicked the link, heard about 30 seconds and bought it. REAL music by REAL guys.  The sound was a very pleasant surprise, as well.

Track 06 -

06crusaders.jpg

The Jazz Crusaders - Freedom Sound - Freedom Sound
Wilton Felder - tenor saxophone, Wayne Henderson - trombone, Joe Sample - piano, Jimmy Bond - bass, Sticks Hooper - drums

Love me some Crusaders.  Wilton’s voice was so unique without being in the innovator class.  Always felt he didn’t get proper respect.  This band made some VERY good music in the 60s that deserves a second listen.  The Mosaic set is excellent.

Track 07 -

07branker.jpg

Anthony Branker & Ascent - Sacred Song - Blessings
Steve Wilson - alto saxophone, Ralph Bowen - tenor/soprano saxophone, Clfford Adams, Jr. - trumpet, Bryan Carrott - vibes, Johnny King - piano, Belden Bullock - bass, Wilby Fletcher - drums, Renato Thoms - conga

Second time I’ve included a track from this in a BFT in the past three years.  I knew nothing of Branker, though this album was one of the few to break through it’s glossy presentation into my playlist.  I couldn’t find him in the personnel list of his own album and starter doing some searching.  He suffered a brain aneurysm and had to give up playing the trumpet, but continues to write and arrange.  This record really speaks to me, specificaly his writing, though the solos are rather standard fare.  That’s probably not a fair assessment (I mean, it IS good music, even if it’s not going to bump Kind of Blue in the rotation).

Track 08 -

08kvm5.jpg

Vandermark 5 - Stranger Blues (for Lester Young) - Acoustic Machine
Ken Vandermark - tenor sax/clarinet; Dave Rempus - alto & tenor sax; Jed Bishop - trombone; Kent Kessler - bass; Tim Mulvina - drums

Vandermark is an enigma for me.  Sometimes, I love him.  Most times, I don’t.  I think it’s absurd he got a McArthur grant, but that’s not on him.  When he’s hitting, he’s terrrific.  A lot of his stuff doesn’t hit for me.  This one does.

Track 09 -

09newk.jpg

Sonny Rollins - A House Is Not A Home - The Cutting Edge
Sonny Rollins - tenor saxophone, Masuo - guitar, Stanley Cowell - piano, Bob Cranshaw - electric bass, David Lee - drums, Mtume - percussion

Newk fools no one.  Bacharach is one of my favorite composers, particularly pre-1980s.  The combination is stellar, in my opinion.  Such a great tune, played by SUCH an absolute master.  

Track 10 -

10bias.jpg

Gary Bias - As Children Play - East 101
Gary Bias - flute, alto & soprano saxophones; Rickey Kelly - vibes, David “Eric” Tilman - piano, Roberto Miranda - bass, Fritz Wise - drums

A lot of guesses off the mark on this one, which is always good in a BFT.  This is just a good record.  That LA scene of the period REALLY produced some excellent music.  Initially I was going to include Dadisi Komalafe’s Round Midnight, but it got bumped for time.  

Track 11 -

11tapscott.jpg

Horace Tapscott & The Pan-African People’s Arkestra - Little Africa - Why Don’t You Listen?
Dwight Trible - vocals, Phil Ranelin - trombone, Michael Session - saxophones, Horace Tapscott - piano, Alan Hines, Louis Large, Trevor Ware - bass, Donald Dean - drums, Bill Madison - percussion, The Great Voice of UGMAA - choir

Continuing with the LA theme, had to go to the boss.  This, as noted towards the end of the comment thread, is one of the most accessible albums of this band I’ve come across, and I have most of them.  Oddly, it was not released until recently.  Horace was a remarkable composer, and this album bears all of that out.  Put Dwight Trible on an album, I’m probably going to like it.

Thanks to all who participated!

Thanks, great fun!  I have that Miranda CD, have only listened to it once (it just came out in the past few months), it's a good one.  Lots of cuts here from the L.A./ Nimbus West/UGMAA scene, which generated some incredible music in the 70's/80's, and has been by far my favorite after-the-fact find in the 21st century.   Lots beyond just Horace Tapscott.  I'm with you on Vandermark, sometimes I love him, sometimes I don't even like him, but this was a great cut.  Bacharach was the greatest pop composer of the 60's.  For all the excitement of Beatlemania and the British Invasion, the artist with the best string of singles in 1964 was Dionne Warwick ("Anyone Who Had A Heart", "Walk On By", "You'll Never Get to Heaven If You Break My Heart", "Reach Out For Me", all composed by Bacharach)  The 60's iteration of the Jazz Crusaders were monsters, and that is a great Mosaic (one of the few I have kept).  I do like that Eddie Henderson cut.  The Cowell cut was a good item for a BFT!   Looking forward to coming backatcha in Decemenber!

Looking forward to December, as well! 

For clarity's point, when I refer to Tapscott, other than as a composer, but as a concept, I'm referring to the greater community for which he was largely responsible (Billie Harris, Dadisi, Bias, Session, Miranda, Wise, Trible, et al).  I knew about the close association with Blythe, but on later realized David Murray and Komasi were both disciples, as well.  Love everything about the Tapscott story save for the very end.

• 2 weeks later...