How often do you change your strings?

Hardbopjazz

I've use to change my guitar strings when I was playing regularly ever 3 day or at the most every 5th day. The oils from my fingers after 5 to 7 hours of playing would make the crisp sound fade away. I use 13 gague flat wound strings. Had a hard time finding anything heavier.

I once read Joe Pass would go through 3 to 4 sets of string a day when in the studio. I guess I wasn't as bad.

What would you say is a good amount of time to keep the same strings on the guitar? Does it really make a difference changing them so often?

Guild use to make the best flat wound strings. Haven't been able to find them for a real long time.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I once argued this point with a friend of mine who also played the guitar.

I change my strings once per year. I have gotten so used to the tone I get with the dull sounding strings that at replacement, they sound WAAAY too bright for me. I think if I am ever to persue the axe more seriously I will have to get over that. I play a junk shop acoustic 3/4 guitar; the only label is a tag glued inside the box reading "Model No. 100."

That dull sound I am used to is more like what I am used to hearing on old recordings of fingerstyle rags, old timey stuff and old blues records. That and old John Fahey records.

To make matters more difficult for my friend, I always insisted on running ernie ball super slinky electric strings on it. :g

I can't stand the sound of new strings, so I put off changing them for as long as I can. Depending on how much I play a particular guitar, that could range from a year to even longer. I wipe mine down every time I finish playing, and they last a long time. As long as they play in tune, I'm happy. I just don't want that really bright sound you get with new strings, in fact it can take weeks for a nice "broken in" feel and sound to occur for me. I've bought some used guitars that had disgustingly grimy fingerboards and necks, so I know some people don't wipe them after they play. It's just a good habit to get into.

Generally, I like flatwounds, although I have some roundwounds on one of my guitars, for a change of pace. I prefer about a 12-52 set, but I've gone with 11-50 on occasion.

I depends on how much I play the guitar. I split my time between 4 or 5 guitars.

They get new strings when they don't stay in tune. I don't need that new sound, I'm always rolling off the treble. I only use it if the room sucks off the high end.

I play about 3 hours a day, so about every 2-3 weeks I need to change them on my practice guitar. I usually change the strings on my gigging guitar about every 3rd gig. I use Thomastik-Infeld Round Wound .12-.53 gauge. I take about 10 minutes to stretch these strings right after I put them on. Additionally, I'll play them in for about 20 minutes. They seem solid as a rock after that. They stay in tune perfectly. They are a tad bright for another 1-2 hours after that, however it's nothing that can't be compensated for by rolling off the treble a little.

I don't like the sound of new strings as well. Especially the wound strings. Sometimes I leave them on while replacing strings 1-3, 2 or 3 times. I used to use ghs nickel rockers which sound much more mellow when new than say ernie balls, fender or d'addarios. Lately haven't been playing enough to need string changes.

By the way not playing jazz guitars or looking for that jazz tone with these strings, mainly playing blues and rock. My guitars are American Standard Fender Strat, Epiphone Les Paul, Danelectro DC57 (Korean reissue from a few years back), a custom strat I made form parts and an Epiphone Broadway archtop which I got on Ebay cheap and has been in the shop for months awaiting a fret job which will hopefully resolve some serious buzz problems ( I bought this one to inspire me to play more jazz.)

Yeah, I know it's not pretty. But pretty guitars are for pretty boys! :P (A saying of a guitarist friend of mine). What I like about it is it's HEAVY and sustains really well, plays really well with a comfortable neck, has great stock pickups (first guitar with active electronics I think) and has a neat thick finish that I think does some good for the sound (lacquers and such make a difference I think, some say profound).

• 4 weeks later...

every two months....

use 013 - 054 Thomastik flatwounds on my Gibson ES347

and roundwounds from D'Addario (011-058) on my Charvel Custom Strat

D'Addario Pro Arte on my nylonstring guitar.....only change them ones in a year or so!

well thats it! B)

ooh forgot the bass.... MTD Strings (4string) on my warwick pro-streamer every six months

i love the sound of new strings.... :wub:

greetz

paco