T.S. Monk at the Kennedy Center

Leeway

I'll be at the second set. If you are going to the second set also, I'll give you my seat number and we can meet after (or before?).

I suspect the 'new compositions' thing is an error on the Kennedy Center's part, but I hope to be disproven. Unless they mean 'Two Timer/Five Will Get You Ten'...

T.S. Monk is (not coincidentally) also in town for the Monk trombone competition. I'll post the details in Live Shows.

Bertrand.

Leeway,

Keep an eye out for me on your way out (I might be in line for the next show) - maybe we can chat five minutes. I'm 6-2, 225 lbs., with a beard and glasses.

If they do play new tunes during the first set, it would be great if you could try to get the titles. I would need them for my own-going project of inventorying the compositions of many of these composers, although for Monk, Chris Sheridan's book has a great inventory already. But he doesn't know about these new pieces...

Bertrand.

Leeway,

Keep an eye out for me on your way out (I might be in line for the next show) - maybe we can chat five minutes.  I'm 6-2, 225 lbs., with a beard and glasses.

If they do play new tunes during the first set, it would be great if you could try to get the titles.  I would need them for my own-going project of inventorying the compositions of many of these composers, although for Monk, Chris Sheridan's book has a great inventory already.  But he doesn't know about these new pieces...

Bertrand.

OK, I'll try to get any titles, and I'll keep an eye out for you. I'll be wearing a dark blue dress shirt, dress slacks and blazer, as I'll be coming from work to the concert. Hope to see you there.

Barak,

The semi-finals are on Saturday 4/26, not tomorrow!

It starts at 11:00; I would imagine 10:30 would be good enough.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to confirm that with the Monk people. A lot of people will be going in and out, so I think it will be easy to get in.

Bertrand.

I wouldn't go to this. No way I'm ever going to financially support T.S. Monk... not after the way he handled that composition controversy with the Sonny Clark tune that T.S. claimed was written by his father. Nope. I think T.S. was wrong. I dumped all of his CDs from my collection and I won't be buying another one either.

Later,

Kevin

Barak,

I just called the Monk Institute. The auditorium will open at 10:30, so you may want to be there a little bit before. We suspect that it will hardly be packed however.

See you there. I will be doing a lot of running around, so you may spot me.

Kevin,

I definitely see your point. The interview where T.S. really ragged on Sonny Clark kind of shook me up. Even if he did steal the tune, you have to feel sorry for him.

I often toy with starting a thread in the musicians' forum as to whether this tune is more characteristic of Monk's or Sonny's writing. It would be a very interesting topic for a jazz researcher to pursue. Both composers have their little tics - are Monk's more noticeable than Sonny's in this track?

Bertrand.

Leeway,

Sorry we couldn't meet - I got here at 9:29.

Can I call them or what? The only 'new' tune was 'Two Timer'. And Ray Gallon told me there were no 'new' tunes in the first set.

The second set was:

Epistrophy

I Mean You

'Round Midnight

Ask me Now

Two Timer

Evidence

Four In One

I enjoyed it a lot. Bobby Porcelli and Ray Gallon were particularly good.

Bertrand.

Bertrand,

You're right, there were no new compositions in the first set :(

That ticked me off, as it was advertised, and was a prime reason why I bought tickets.

Having said that, what WAS played was really good. Some differences from the 2nd set were: Played Twice, Brilliant Mississippi (??), Bolivar Blues, Ruby My Dear, and, I think, Little Rootie Tootie. I thought the tentet really swung. But TS ought to be more careful about what he promises.