Deadwood

I found the first episode of "Deadwood" fascinating and entertaining. It seems like a truer translation (much of the language does seem a bit anachronistic) of the lawless wild frontier than most of its Hollywood predecessors. It is also seems, in some ways, like a frontier "Sopranos". I like the mix of characters, the acting, directing, sets, etc. and am looking forward to seeing how it develops.

I figured it was time to bring this one back up and see if anyone else was following the show.

By the end of the second episode I was definitely enjoying this show. The plot is really starting to firm up and ...well...I'm hooked. I really am looking forward to the 3rd episode.

As far as the language - I've read newspaper articles (and opinions in this thread) saying it's inauthentic and I've seen articles claiming the writers went to great effort to produce language and profanity congruent to the timeframe. One way or the other, it doesn't really bother me. With this show and previously with Band Of Brothers, I found I had to turn the volume up higher (or wear phones) than I really wanted to in order to catch all the dialogue.

As with the Sopranos, I think the casting is right on. Robin Weigert is great as Calamity Jane and Ian McShane's Al Swearengen is a great villain.

All in all I'd like to dig up some good books dealing with this period.

• 10 months later...

I forgot to watch the initial run of Deadwood last summer. I just finished the 5th episode of Deadwood, this evening, via DVD. The foul language is present. The language, to me, is presented in a vulgar yet poetic sort of way. It's as if the writers are having fun with (and making fun of) the style of the classic western combined with the vulgar HBO-type language.

The lead character, Seth, reminds me, at times, of the man-with-no-name character of the westerns of Clint Eastwood. The wild-eyed stares, the clinched jaw while speaking, the soft voice, the random moments of bad acting, the good guy who's not afraid to be bad to make things right.

This is high entertainment for me. :tup

Edited by wesbed

Looking forward to the new season. The building I work in houses Cablevision on the first floor. When walking to the elevatiors I can look through Cablevision's glass door facade and in the lobby of that office is a life size Seth Bullock cutout publicizing the return.

I reread the previous posts. I still haven't really read anything about this period, but I did pick up the dvd edition of the first season. I couldn't resist Costco's price. The "extra" disc contains a lot of interesting background on the real characters and the research that went into the series. Really interesting and highly recomended.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else see this ?

I got right back into it. I taped it and I'll think I'll rewatch it to catch all the dialogue. Looks like it's going to be an interesting season. Allready open hostility between Bullock and Swearengen and a thickening plot between Cy Tolliver and Joanie.