Charles Mingus Oslo 1964

miles65

Today I finaly recieved the last CD missing with recordings from the Oslo 1964 concert. There are two sources for this concert the TV recording wich is on a Jazz Icons DVD.

The track are So long Eric, Orange was the colour of her dress, OW! (incomplete version) and Take the A train. These are also on bootleg CD's (Jazz Up and Moon) minus 3 minutes from Take the A train. (Moon claims to have Fables of Faubus but it is So long Eric)

2 Landscape CD's have 4 more titles Fables of Faubus, Orange was the colour of her dress, Meditation and Parkeriana (= Ow!). The sound quality is not very good. 

and now my question: Orange was the colour of her dress is some 50 seconds shorter on the Landscape CD than the Jazz up and Moon CD.

My idea is that this is a different recording than the TV version. Or does the Landscape version have 50 seconds edited out. There does not seem to be a speed difference.

Opinions anyone?

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Is the question about different source recordings of the same performance? Right?

Yes or are there diffrent performances of the same tune. One during the televised part and one during the not televised part of the concert?

I never counted seconds or looked on the cover to see how many minutes and seconds a tune has...., but maybe on one source the applause or the start proceedings are recorded and on the other they were cut of.
I noticed that Mingus on the 64 tour sometimes took his sweet time to start a tune. You here how he fixes his bass, you here him tuning the bass, you here him givin intructions to the fellow musicians, once on "Sophisticated" (on the 3 record set from the America label) he starts two bars and stops and starts again. 

About "Orange": I like those versions from 1964 with Dolphy on the bass clarinet and that great Byard solo, and some of Mingus´ greatest bass solo. Later on his comeback in 1970 he still played the tune, but somehow it was not as exiting, there were more rubato sections. On the 64 tour though it´s ballad time, it really has that great drive, 

"Parkeriana" is something special: If I heard different versions I always liked to check out what other bop anathems they include in the bridge (Ornithology, 52nd Street Theme, Buzzy, that superb ballad excerpt of "If I should loose you" and a very good "Parker´s Mood". And Clifford quotes "Hot House" in the bridge of one chorus. I think on an other occasion they quoted "The Street Beat" too......

It was that record that made me curious how the legendary Charlie Parker and Be bop style might sound. I got into bop from Mingus´ "Parkeriana"....