Latin Percussion Going Into Double Time

Teasing the Korean

The timbalero is supposed to lead a Cuban rhythm section, so he may start a bar early to cue the others in. This may happen spontaneously in longer improvisations. but when an arrangement calls for double time, maybe there is a break or an arranged passage or simply an abanico, and they are all expected to switch at the same point. depends on what was agreed upon beforehand, and how well the players know each other.

1 minute ago, mikeweil said:

The timbalero is supposed to lead a Cuban rhythm section, so he may start a bar early to cue the others in. This may happen spontaneously in longer improvisations. but when an arrangement calls for double time, maybe there is a break or an arranged passage or simply an abanico, and they are all expected to switch at the same point. depends on what was agreed upon beforehand, and how well the players know each other.

Thanks. In the examples I'm thinking of, the tunes are fully arranged.  While the percussion guys were generally reading 4 slashes per bar in the charts, I'm sure there were notations to go to double time in specific sections, based on what else was occurring in the arrangements. I didn't know if the arranger specifically indicated for the timbales to start the double time on bar early, or if it was an idiomatic thing.