Institute of Jazz Studies , interesting new articles

12 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I will probably skip the Iverson, but the others look interesting (though until a surgery I am having next week, my sight will remain unable to navigate these very well).

The standards article interests me because I remember Dick Katz discussing how the jazz repertoire radically expanded post- bebop, from the relatively limited harmonies used by swing era (and earlier) musicians (with exceptions of course). A lot of this was the function of bebop's broadening of tempos and intervals.  I also recall a conversation I had with Bill Crow years ago. We were discussing, for some reason, how the standard repertoire inserted itself into jazz. He knew I had been friends with Al Haig, and he said something which I have never heard anyone else mention. which was that in his experience  Haig was one of the prime players who helped to codify the changes in the growing standard repertoire, meaning re-harmonization and chord substitutions. I wish I had heard this when Haig was alive; it would have been interesting to ask him about it

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I enjoyed that Jaki Byard article.

Yeah, that article is terrific.

How I would have loved to hear Byard play piano duets with Ellington!  That would have been SOMETHING!

Also, I had no idea about Byard's early connection with the Adderley brothers.  Very interesting.