Monk Plays Ellington

Sundog

Here's my two cents. I got this reissue because I passed on a 29 dollar Japanese K2 of this about four years ago and never saw another copy. . . .This is one of my favorite jazz releases featuring one of my very favorite pianist playing works of my favorite composer and with one of my very favorite drummers on brushes. . . . I've loved this lp, and the cd in the Riverside Monk box for a long time. . . .

I think this K2 reissue sounds better than the Monk box set, I just compared a few songs. It seems better focused. The bass is deeper, and yet also fuller and tighter (sort of an odd combination that one, go figure). The piano is more clearly presented, and oddly there is less prominent reverb. There seems to be more space in the sound, a blacker background, something like that. I LIKE the sound of the Monk box, but the K2 is an improvement. Not sure how they did that as Chuck says there are no master tapes available for this session, but they took a lot of care in the transfer I think, and the results are very good.

Now let me just say I have been working on my stereo for years, have it at a point now where I feel it is very musical without being "hi fi'd up" or ruthlessly analytically revealing, and I enjoy a good remaster. If you're not a remaster-buying kind of person, and your forty year old Scott receiver is going along fine with the original filter capacitors and zipcord for speaker wire and you don't buy remasters as a general rule, fine, don't buy this one because it ISN'T one of those that are gonna rock your world.

Thanks for the candid comments. I do pick my spots as far as upgrades are concerned. I will probably buy this one, since it's also one of my desert island discs thanks to a recommendation you gave me back in the BNBB days. Never thanked you for that. So, thanks!

P.S. The bass player ain't too bad either. B)

I don't quite see your point, thanks for correcting the typo, I corrected mine in the post. You don't think Marshall would be a better fit? I can understand that, don't agree, but understand; I just am not sure what you meant. I like him better as a bassist tone and function wise, and I like him working with Klook during this time period. But OP is very good here too.

Edited by jazzbo

I don't have the originals to compare it too but just the other day I listened to the K2 of Everybody Digs Bill Evans and the sound is exquisite. You can really hear down to the deepest levels. I've also just picked up the Monk one and have been listening to it in the car but that's not a good test.

Lon, I'm not sure I understand why you don't think Oscar is not good here. I understand why you like Wendell but not necessarily OP.

Brad, in the post above I say distinctly that OP is good here. BUT I'm not that big an OP fan, I recognize his technical prowess and his innovation, but don't like his sound and "feel" as much as other bassists. I really think that I'd rather hear Wendell in this session. That's me. I'm not the producer!