Free Design

Teasing the Korean

20 hours ago, felser said:

This is a great box set, seven albums and bonus tracks on 4 CD's, excellent booklet, pristine remastering.  $28.20 with free prime delivery from Amazon.  They did some truly magical music.

That is a great set.  The Free Design inhabit such a weird place.  They are simultaneously poppy and accessible, yet experimental. They sound like no one else.

A friend of mine went to MSM with Chris Dedrick. They were both jazz trumpet players, but they also played in classical ensembles. Chris was always missing rehearsals, because he said he had to rehearse with a "Folk Group" he was forming. Guess who the 'folk group' turned out to be?

The whole Dedrick family were heavyweights in the music business, starting with Art Kendrick, who started one of the biggest HS music publishing companies in the world Kendor Music, and both he and Lyle 'Rusty' Dedrick wrote countless jazz ensemble arrangements used in every HS in the world.

Chris Dedrick hated the commercial nature of the NYC music business so much that he went to live in Canada. I played a band showcase where his brother was playing in one of the other bands. When I mentioned Chris to him, he got very upset, and said that CD split the family apart by joining some Canadian cult that he called "Evil" and the family didn't want to have anything to do with him.

CD became a successful Canadian film composer, and still released FD albums under a Canadian label. One of the last albums he made before he died was with singer Lori Cullen where they performed music written by Judee Sill and others, and arranged by CD. It was called Buttercup Bugle.