Blue Note Revisited

mgraham333

Blue Note Revisited

1939 marked the birth of Blue Note Records and the birth of a new era in music. The label created by German immigrant, Alfred Lion, would soon evolve into a home for the finest in jazz music for ages to come. Looking back in 1969, label partner and photographer Francis Wolff wrote "By 1939, jazz had gathered enough momentum so that an experiment like Blue Note could be tried” and 65 years later Blue Note Records is still going strong as the preeminent jazz label in the world.

Now, in the Spring of 2004, Blue Note releases Blue Note Revisited, an album containing remixes, remakes, and reworks by some of the world’s most talented DJs and producers including Bugz in the Attic, Kenny “Dope” Gonzales, Madlib, JayDee aka J Dilla, Jazzanova, Kyoto Jazz Massive, and DJ Spinna to name a few.

Track Listing

1 Oriental Folk Song - La Funk Mob (Wayne Shorter)

2 La Malanga - Kenny Dope Gonzales (Bobby Hutcherson)

3 Kudu - Kyoto Jazz Massive (Eddie Henderson)

4 Lansanna's Priestess - DJ Spinna (Donald Byrd)

5 Won't You Open Up Your Senses - 4 Hero (Horace Silver)

6 Los Alamitos Latinfunklovesong - Bugz In The Attic (Gene Harris)

7 Young Warrior - Madlib (Bobbi Humphrey)

8 Oblighetto - Jay Dee aka J Dilla ('Brother' Jack McDuff)

9 The Emperor - DJ Cam Feat. Erik Truffaz (Donald Byrd)

10 Footprints (dub) - DJ Mehdi (Wayne Shorter)

11 Song Of Will - Jazzanova (Eddie Gale)

12 A Time To Remember - Osunlade (Grant Green)

13 Caravan - Matthew Herbert (Michel Petrucciani)

Don't ask me; I'm a grumpy old stick in the mud...

Me too.

I have to admit that I have lost most of my interest in what BN puts out.

I was checking Jazzmatazz today and I saw that a new Stefon Harris CD is coming out. I've enjoyed his previous work, but the thought of supporting the current BN kind of turns me off. I'll probably buy it, but it's just not the same.

I still buy some reissues, but I just don't feel like they give a shit about their listeners anymore.

I don't even recognize most of the song titles. I like DJs though, so I'd listen to this.

Stefon Harris' music has been a major disappointment for me. Misleading record reviews made me think of an entirely different music. Maybe its my fault.

It took me awhile to get into his last album, but I paid $17 for it, and I figured I should get my money worth. :P