New Allman Brothers Band

GregK

I was wondering if anyone has heard this and what their thoughts are. It's from their Beacon run last March. Their latest studio record is very good, so I'm thinking that maybe this one might be worth getting, as it is a mix from that studio record and some of their classic tunes

I'm really out of touch with the Allman Bros.

I have their older albums from the early 70's, but I've heard nothing lately. I know they have great musicians playing with them, as I have heard Warren Haynes with Phil and Friends.

I'd be interested in your review if you pick it up, Greg.

I'm really out of touch with the Allman Bros.

I have their older albums from the early 70's, but I've heard nothing lately. I know they have great musicians playing with them, as I have heard Warren Haynes with Phil and Friends.

From da web site:

"One Way Out" includes songs seen on last year’s platinum DVD "Live At The Beacon Theatre" as well as, additional live tracks from the Beacon performances.

I have the DVD and it's real good.

Me too. I really dug Derek Trucks' playing when we saw them live in Lansing. :tup

Yeah, he's an amazing slide player.

Is he more fluid than Jeff Beck?

Well, yeah. For a slide player. :P

Me too. I really dug Derek Trucks' playing when we saw them live in Lansing. :tup

Yeah, he's an amazing slide player.

Is he more fluid than Jeff Beck?

Well, yeah. For a slide player. :P

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

well, I finally got this CD today and I am just listening to it now. First impressions are that the guitars and drums are recorded/mixed WAY up front (thank goodness!!! Never been a fan of the organ over the guitars), and man oh man can that Derek Trucks guy ever play!!! He is absolutely on fire on this record. I hate using the cliched reviews but he really does have very similar sound to Duane Allman, only jazzier, with lots of modal playing in his solos. Real nice clean tone too. His slide playing on Desdemona (a great soulful blues with long solos from their last studio record) is jaw-dropping. It literally made me turn my head and just sit and listen until his solo was done, which only guitarists such as Duane, Dickey, Frank Zappa and Neil Young have been able to do for me. Gregg Allman's vocals sound weaker than they have in years for some reason, with some flat notes here and there and just an overall weariness. But that weariness actually fits some of the blues tunes well. They do a swinging, ripping version of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, with some pretty impressive guitar from Warren Haynes. I thought I would not even want to listen to the ABB without Dickey, but man Trucks' playing is some of the best I have ever heard. It's too bad Duane is dead, but with Derek Trucks they have the next best thing. Now I'm going to have to go find all his solo records. I understand his first one has versions of Mr PC, So What and Footprints? I've gotta see this guy in concert

Edited by GregK

I saw that band last summer, and afterwards got to meet Derek. I told him that the best thing I could say about his playing is that when he played, I felt great! :)

How did you get to meet him? Did he have much to say? Looks like a youngin'

Joe and I went to the show with the bassist from my R&B band, James Williams. His brother, Lamar Williams, played with the band from 1973 until his death from cancer (due to his exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam) in 1983. Lamar was also in Sea Level with Chuck Leavell. So whenever ABB comes to Michigan, James can go and see the band, backstage and all that. He was kind enough to take us along.

Derek is young, but he's very nice and an extremely fine player. We also got to meet some of the cats from Karl Denson's group, which opened for ABB.

Joe and I went to the show with the bassist from my R&B band, James Williams. His brother, Lamar Williams, played with the band from 1973 until his death from cancer (due to his exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam) in 1983. Lamar was also in Sea Level with Chuck Leavell. So whenever ABB comes to Michigan, James can go and see the band, backstage and all that. He was kind enough to take us along.

Derek is young, but he's very nice and an extremely fine player. We also got to meet some of the cats from Karl Denson's group, which opened for ABB.

man, you guys lucked out. I'd like to meet the ABB if I ever had the chance to

Derek Trucks is incredibly talented and I can't help but feel that as a player he hasn't even peaked. I can just imagine how he is going to sound say five years from now. BTW how was Karl Denson?

Thanks b3-er!!

I don't want to keep gushing but the performance of Desdemona on this new CD is just outstanding. I've been listening to this and the recent double disc archival release (released last fall, with Duane on it, from the Atlanta pop festival in 1970) a lot lately and Derek is just as impressive as Duane was back then.