When is jazz not jazz (or vice versa) Australian group "The Necks"

romualdo

any Necks fans out there?

The trio (Abrahams/Swanton/Buck) has been around since the late 80s & have recently released their 19th studio album "Travel" (2LP/CD) via Northern Spy

They've all (individually) been on the jazz/alt rock/improv scene for years

https://thenecks.com/ 

I've seen them many times (Brisbane & Sydney - only time as a support act to Nick Cave) - their concerts/recordings are always 30-45 minutes of pure hypnotic improvisation

They're big in London, NYC, Europe - much better known there than in Australia

Huge fan. Have most of their official recordings and a few concert recordings too. Seen them a few times now, never fail to be interesting and more often than not a lot more than that.

Interestingly, 'Travel' hasn't had the immediate impact of most of their releases although I do tend to prefer the recorded performances rather than studio albums. That being said I do like this new 20 minute improvisation approach.

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Huge fan. Have most of their official recordings and a few concert recordings too. Seen them a few times now, never fail to be interesting and more often than not a lot more than that.

Interestingly, 'Travel' hasn't had the immediate impact of most of their releases although I do tend to prefer the recorded performances rather than studio albums. That being said I do like this new 20 minute improvisation approach.

And as to whether they play Jazz or not, I gave up trying to square that circled years ago. They play The Necks music but I will say that I do hear a strong musical sympathy with Alice Coltrane. This may be because the first time I heard them was on an Australian colleague's iPod in 2005 when he suggested I listen to 'Sex' and that bass line still makes me think of Satchidananda.

The shared love of that album that summer did a lot for any strains caused by the Ashes 😄 (always wanted to drop a cricket reference onto Organissimo...)

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The shared love of that album that summer did a lot for any strains caused by the Ashes 😄 (always wanted to drop a cricket reference onto Organissimo...)

sorry to disappoint but I'm one of those rare Australians who has no interest in cricket - here's a story for you: a few years back when I was working as an emergency veterinarian at the University of Queensland Veterinary Emergency clinic, Alan Border came in with his dog - I called him Greg much to the ongoing ridicule & bemusement of my colleagues. The nurses would call me Greg from then on.

Edited by romualdo

3 minutes ago, romualdo said:

sorry to disappoint but I'm one of those rare Australians who has no interest in cricket - here's a story for you: a few years back when I was working as an emergency veterinarian at the University of Queensland Veterinary Emergency clinic, Alan Border came in with his dog - I called him Greg much to the ongoing ridicule & amusement of my colleagues

Greg, Alan's twin, obviously. Not as famous perhaps 

I'd imagined there are many Australians who don't like the sacred game. My reference was more because of the connection with The Necks introducer 

I just listened to 'Travel' again and enjoyed it the most so far. I often find it takes some time to get under the skin of a new album. Superficially they can sound like just another The Necks album but they reveal their different characters with attention.

Do you have particular albums you return to a lot?

That's interesting, nor do I.  I usually choose if I want to listen to studio or live and then almost randomly select 

If the proverbial gun was to my head I'd choose 'Mosquito/See Through' or 'Townsville'. 

How's 'Photosynthesis'? One of the few I've not tracked down

21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How's 'Photosynthesis'? One of the few I've not tracked down

So long since I played it, can't remember - recorded in Russia

will have to give it a spin

were you aware that Tony Buck played/recorded with Tarasov from the Ganelin Trio (one of my fav jazz combos)

3 minutes ago, romualdo said:

So long since I played it, can't remember - recorded in Russia

will have to give it a spin

were you aware that Tony Buck played/recorded with Tarasov from the Ganelin Trio (one of my fav jazz combos)

No, I had no idea.

I haven't followed their individual careers that closely. I have a few Abraham's releases and I think Buck's solo recording from a few years ago is marvellous. He has a 3 day residency at Oto soon I think

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

No, I had no idea.

I haven't followed their individual careers that closely. I have a few Abraham's releases and I think Buck's solo recording from a few years ago is marvellous. He has a 3 day residency at Oto soon I think

Lloyd Swanton has played on many australian jazz recordings since the early 80s (on quite a few of the Bernie McGann sessions/releases)

Would love to check out Cafe Oto especially if Evan Parker played - he's on my bucket list - London beckons

I'm a huge fan of the Brit (& Euro) Improv scene

I was actually born in London & family migrated to Australia in 1961

after a recent concert, I asked Lloyd Swanton which of the various albums he was selling there he would recommend (if I was to buy only two)... he said that the one called SEX was still quite popular even though it was an older one... and then maybe OPEN for contrast he thought [quoting from memory here...] Have been quite happy with those purchases but haven't digged deeper yet... (and I heard them live twice which was amazing both times)