Shorty Rogers' "Chances Are It Swings"

Larry Kart

On 3/22/2023 at 3:16 PM, Larry Kart said:

Almost buried on my shelves, I found this 1958 big band album which is notable for several reasons...

This turned into a crazy weekend for reasons that I won't go into here, except to say that I had patience only for Mizell Brothers Blue Note LPs.  I will get to these two Shorty albums soon.

• 10 months later...
On 3/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I've had both and they both sound good.  IIRC, the mono has less reverb than the stereo, which generally is a good thing.

Re- the "Afro-Cuban Influence":

I took the plunge and picked up the mono copy of that RCA original today (neither the mono nor the stereo versions of the record had shifted since I saw them in the store 11 months ago). To make matters even better, the price had been downmarked to 10 EUR in the meantime. Spinning the suite now - nice!!

39 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Re- the "Afro-Cuban Influence":

I took the plunge and picked up the mono copy of that RCA original today (neither the mono nor the stereo versions of the record had shifted since I saw them in the store 11 months ago). To make matters even better, the price had been downmarked to 10 EUR in the meantime. Spinning the suite now - nice!!

Glad you picked it up!  I think I like the side with the four stand-alone tunes even more than the side with the suite, though I like the whole album.