Lewis Porter: Coltrane Projects That Never Happened: Two Reunion Albums with Miles in 1967!

Fascinating article!  Two questions:  how could RCA be in play for a Miles/Trane album, when they didn't have either under contract.  And did RCA really have more money than Columbia at that point?  I thought Columbia was the biggest record company in that era.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Fascinating article!  Two questions:  how could RCA be in play for a Miles/Trane album, when they didn't have either under contract.  And did RCA really have more money than Columbia at that point?  I thought Columbia was the biggest record company in that era.

I assume that RCA would have "rented" Miles and Trane from their respective companies for a one-off -- not unlike if Columbia "rented" Trane from Impulse or Impulse had "rented" Miles from Columbia. Yes, it would have been expensive for RCA, and I don't know the relevant financial condition of the label at the time. But I'm guessing that even if they were smaller than Columbia, they were still flush. 

Given that the interest RCA showed in forward-looking jazz by 1966 was minimal (not zilch, but very close), and given that by the time of the second letter in Porter's post the unrealized project has migrated to Impulse --

Is it unreasonable to think that the mention of RCA in the first letter is a misstatement on Miles' part, if not a fabrication to press Columbia for more money? Or a misstatement or memory lapse on Townsend's part?