Martin Amis has died of esophageal cancer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12106405/Renowned-British-author-Martin-Amis-dies-aged-73-cancer-battle.html

I was introduced to his work by a film The Rachel Papers (a brilliant film that meant a lot to me at the time), which was based on his eponymous first novel. I met him briefly at the reading he gave at either the Brentano's or Shakespeare & Co. on 5th Avenue in the mid-1990s, and he signed a copy of this novel for me. I still have it.

He was sort of an enfant terrible of the English language prose in the 1970s-1980s. I haven't read any of his other books, but I did buy a novel that made waves when it came out. It's titled the Information, I think. My reading list is too long, but perhaps one day I'll get to it.

Also, the same film, the Rachel Papers, was my introduction to the music of the late Willy DeVille, a remarkably talented and creative musician, who, sadly, was an addict. You know his music from the Princess Bride. 

Terrible way to go...

I read Money and London Fields quite a long time ago and had been thinking of rereading them.  I might do so now, though I am a bit more inclined to read something "fresh" to me.  I'm pretty sure I never got around to Time's Arrow, and I might tackle that one next.

• 6 months later...