Gary Smulyan's "Saxophone Mosaic" (Criss Cross)

Larry Kart

16 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

You saw my qualification that the bells and whistles, snorts and chortles side of PW began rather suddenly and for whatever reason around 1958 and that I'm talking about PW as a soloist not as a lead player, where I concede his stature. In any case, I'm familiar with many of the recordings you cite and would add that if you can't tell the difference in style and IMO quality between the  frequently marvelous PW of, say: Jazz for the Carriage Trade (Prestige, 1956),The New York Scene (Prestige, 1957),Jazz at Hotchkiss (Savoy, 1957) and many other recordings of that period and BEFORE then our minds will never meet on this subject, which is fine with me. Two pre-change PW favorites of mine BTW: Quincy Jones' "This Is How I Feel about Jazz" (his solos on "A Sleepin' Bee" and "Walkin" [!!!]) and Red Garland's "Sugan." As far as "Tell that to," I'm not  the only longtime listener who feels the way I do about latter day PW...

Are you familiar with his playing on Kenyon Hopkins' The Hustler?

14 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Didn't offer it as proof but as an anecdote -- we're in an area where proof doesn't exist. There are violinists who don't care for Heifetz. And Ken who?

I

15 hours ago, sgcim said:

Yeah, you've told me that story before, and it proves nothing Go ask Ken what he thinks of PW.

15 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Didn't offer it as proof but as an anecdote -- we're in an area where proof doesn't exist. There are violinists who don't care for Heifetz. And Ken who?

P.S> Couldn't find Ken, but I asked Barbie and she much prefers Gene Quill, as do I.

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I

P.S> Couldn't find Ken, but I asked Barbie and she much prefers Gene Quill, as do I.

LOL! I give up.

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That is IMO one of the greatest jazz soundtracks.  It was released on Kapp, but there was a limited edition expanded CD a few years back, from Intrada.

Can't be any good, Phil Woods plays bells and whistles on it...LOL!