Billy Harper

Pim

On 8/3/2023 at 1:47 AM, Gheorghe said:

Sorry I never saw "The Cookers". Must be a gas to see them. 

My best memory of Billy Harper is is composition "Pieceful Heart". What rhythm, what time is that ? Must be hard to play.....

The tune you are thinking of is The Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart. The Cookers perform this tune pretty regularly and it opens a lot of our shows....

The tune is in 9 but it is not a typical 9 which is usually sub-divided into 3-3-3. In this case it is subdivided more like 4-5 or as someone in the band said 4-1-4. I would go with 4-5.

Though perhaps a little rough around the edges, here is a pretty decent live performance of it....

Edited by david weiss

Thank you so much, @david weiss

Great performance, I hope I´ll see you at some time if you do Vienna (I missed the 2018 gig at Porgy@Bess) but I still hope it will happen some day. 
Thank you also very much for the rhythmic advice of the tune. Yes, that´s also what I thought: not a typically 9, but more a 4-5. 
When I heard it the first time in 1978 I couldn´t figure it out. But knew it is something great, special. 

54 minutes ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

Saw him at Blues Alley a few months ago with his own quintet (must have been Tankersley on the piano, then). Loved his sci-fi-ish leather (?) duster, looked like he was an extra in one of the Star Wars spin offs. 

One of Tankersley’s students subbed for her that night — and her student did really admirably, and got off a couple really fantastic solos (one each set, iirc).  It was a nice night!

• 5 months later...

Upcoming Livestreams from Smoke for Billy Harper's 81st birthday:

LIVESTREAM: Billy Harper Quintet “81st Birthday Celebration”

link.png

FRI, JAN 19

Freddie Hendrix – trumpet Billy Harper – tenor saxophone Francesca Tanksley – piano Dezron Douglas – bass Aaron Scott – drums “A luminary figure in post-bop” – The New York Times The incredible Billy Harper leads his celebrated quintet—with trumpeter Freddie Hendrix, pianist Francesca Tanksley, bassist Dezron Douglas, and drummer Aaron Scott—while celebrating his 81st birthday. One of the most original and significant saxophonists of the past 50 years, Harper has a distinctive sound and approach that is purely his own. Over the years, he’s worked with Art Blakey, Max Roach, Gil Evans, Elvin Jones, Lee...

Read More
07:00 PM SHOW09:00 PM SHOW10:30 PM SHOW

LIVESTREAM: Billy Harper Quintet “81st Birthday Celebration”

link.png

SAT, JAN 20

Freddie Hendrix – trumpet Billy Harper – tenor saxophone Francesca Tanksley – piano Dezron Douglas – bass Aaron Scott – drums “A luminary figure in post-bop” – The New York Times The incredible Billy Harper leads his celebrated quintet—with trumpeter Freddie Hendrix, pianist Francesca Tanksley, bassist Dezron Douglas, and drummer Aaron Scott—while celebrating his 81st birthday. One of the most original and significant saxophonists of the past 50 years, Harper has a distinctive sound and approach that is purely his own. Over the years, he’s worked with Art Blakey, Max Roach, Gil Evans, Elvin Jones, Lee...

Read More
07:00 PM SHOW09:00 PM SHOW10:30 PM SHOW