Apple and icloud

Milestones

OK, latest info...

I seem to get idiots when I talk to people at the local Toyota dealership.
The quote of over $9000 was for the navigation system (that I have on the back floor) - 
NOT for a CD player. I was wondering why I was seeing prices online for used items at $40 to 60 on eBay.
So, I just might pick one up on the cheap and have it installed.

A lot (all?) of today's Toyotas have the audio system fully integrated into the car's operating system so aftermarket is almost impossible. Even if you could do it, it would have to be hidden somewhere, because their factory audio displays do not typically leave room for anything else. I suppose you could hide one in the glovebox or under a seat, but you'd have to hack into the wiring harness to get at the speaker wires and +12V Power/Ground. You would also have to have a remote to control the volume and you'd have no visible display.

16 hours ago, bresna said:

A lot (all?) of today's Toyotas have the audio system fully integrated into the car's operating system so aftermarket is almost impossible. Even if you could do it, it would have to be hidden somewhere, because their factory audio displays do not typically leave room for anything else. I suppose you could hide one in the glovebox or under a seat, but you'd have to hack into the wiring harness to get at the speaker wires and +12V Power/Ground. You would also have to have a remote to control the volume and you'd have no visible display.

That's certainly true of current and relatively recent Toyotas (and many other makes as well), but not as much when it comes to 20+ year old ones. The latter-day move away from standard, unadorned DIN car stereo bays to oddly-shaped dashboard trim that discourages you from installing a non-factory head unit unless you want it to look like crap is inexcusable.

For what it's worth, I drive a 25-year-old Honda, and although it still has the factory stereo in it, the car that preceded it was an identical model, and I had no trouble getting a new deck like the one pictured upthread installed in that one. I used to stream music from my phone to it using either Bluetooth or a direct USB connection.