Gary Wright - The Dream Weaver Has Died

Kevin Bresnahan

Gary Wright died today at the age of 80. He'd been suffering from Lewy Body Dementia for the past 5 years. Although Wright was know for "Dream Weaver", he was actually a two-hit wonder with "Love Is Alive". I am somewhat surprised to read that both of these charted in early 1976. I thought it was several years earlier.

RIP.  Loved the work he and Mike Harrison did together with Spooky Tooth.  Harrison was a spectacular vocalist, and Wright knew how to perfectly combine with him.  The way they combined their vocals was incredible.  Spooky Two, released in 1969, is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, and Wright was the primary force on that album (writing, keyboards, sharing the lead vocals).   All five original members of the band have now passed away, but their musical legacy is still with us. 

Edited by felser

45 minutes ago, felser said:

RIP.  Loved the work he and Mike Harrison did together with Spooky Tooth.  Harrison was a spectacular vocalist, and Wright knew how to perfectly combine with him.  The way they combined their vocals was incredible.  Spooky Two, released in 1969, is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, and Wright was the primary force on that album (writing, keyboards, sharing the lead vocals).   All five original members of the band have now passed away, but their musical legacy is still with us. 

Spooky Tooth's Luther Grosvenor is still kicking around. I don't know if he's still playing though.

14 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I have the Spooky Tooth album with Pierre Henry.  One weekend, I listened to it four times in a row.  I couldn't decide if it was brilliant or awful. 

It's both, though some definite brilliance in there.  And a very disturbing album cover.

14 hours ago, bresna said:

Spooky Tooth's Luther Grosvenor is still kicking around. I don't know if he's still playing though.

Good to know, thanks!  Thought he had passed.

Edited by felser