"Hi Heckler" - did Lester Young ever record this?

Big Beat Steve

At one of my visits to the library of the local Amerika Haus (when these still existed here) during my later schol days in the second half of the 70s I browsed through some folio on the history of jazz that was on the shelves there and included a facsimile reprint of a tune called "Hi Heckler" credited to Lester Young as the composer. (Checking online now, this folio must have been "Jazz - Where it came from ..." by John S. Wilson.)
The amusing name of that tune stuck in my memory and I told myself that some day I was going to get the recording. But I never saw it anywhere on any LP or CD through the decades.

Internet information also is scanty, and one concrete reference that I found elsewhere was in the Lester Young bio by Lewis Porter (from 2005) that included the tune in the list of existing solo transcriptins, but with a mention "from no known recording". Which may explain things but is odd - how would this have been transcribed, then?

Now the other day I received a copy of the "Lestorian Notes" discography and bibliography of Lester Young by Piet Koster and Harm Mombach (published in 1998) and checked there too. But no trace of "Hi Heckler" there either ...
I don't know, of course, to what degree this discography still is totally up to date so I am wondering ...

Given that "new" airshots, live recordings or jam session documents surface all the time from all areas of jazz, is there any Prez expert who happens to know if there is indeed a surviving recording of that mysterious tune anywhere after all or if there definitely is no such thing and never was?

Thanks in advance. ;)

In Lewis Porter's book (p.115) it says that Hi Heckler is a transcribed Young solo (not a tune ) that was first published in 1944 and then in 1964 in Dave Dexter's The Jazz Story (so that could have been your book as well). Porter doesn't say where it was first published and notes that it doesn't correspond to any known recording... But, of course, the book is from 1985... Anyway, Lewis Porter seems like the person to ask

Ok, so the original publication was by Sam Donahue in his collection "Tenor Saxophone Styles" published in 1944... the tunes contained in it were 

Kelly's stable blues, by Coleman Hawkins.--Hi heckler, by Lester Young.--Blues on the bias, by Don Byas.--Feed the kitty, by Eddie Miller.--Short juice, by Dave Matthews.

and I guess the first main question is how Sam Donahue came up with the music, whether he transcribed stuff he had - or whether he just created something "in the style of"

Thanks to both of you.

@Niko:
It was definitely the book/large-sized folio by John S. Wilson that I saw in the 70s. I checked it online and the late 60s/ealry 70s "zeitgeist" artwork/layout matches what I remember. Besides, the sources I found online say this was published by some US Information Services agency (which makes it a prime candidate for being displayed at an Amerika Haus, doesn't it?).
The book by Dave Dexter was published prior to this, and maybe John S. Wilson picked up some information from there.
Interesting to learn about the "Tenor Saxophone Styles" sheet music collection. The sources of this collection probably remain a mystery. 

@mhatta:
Your link (to a page from the "Jazz where it came from ..." book) is exactly the one that I found again the other day as well. I do remember the layout, i.e. the page shown there is what I saw in the 70s (the "Hi Heckler" sheet music reprint I saw defintely was not a full-page facsimile).

Seems like we are turning in circles right now. ;)

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Given that "new" airshots, live recordings or jam session documents surface all the time from all areas of jazz, is there any Prez expert who happens to know if there is indeed a surviving recording of that mysterious tune anywhere after all or if there definitely is no such thing and never was?

Thanks in advance. ;)

I have made it a point over the years to collect every soundbite of Lester Young that I could.  "Hi Heckler" is not among them.   Lester Young did not compose many songs at all outside of original heads for blues tracks.   I imagine that "Hi, Heckler" is probably one of those.