Antonio Adolfo - Bossa 65

GA Russell

This is for his new album.

I have some old press releases from Adolfo floating around, and if I can find them, I'll post them here as well.

cover-f833242c8d1a4d14944b5af0ab9b8a47-half.jpg

Antonio Adolfo
Bossa 65

Impacting
September 18th, 2023

Format(s): Jazz

image-d1c50fbdcdbe4ad499c9d689ec744604-full.jpg
image-343e0d15e630434a8a4b3e55de01f9c1-full.jpg

Bossa 65 dominated the JazzWeek Chart for seven straight weeks! And continues maintaining top ten status now at # 3!

Bossa Nova was the most important musical movement to come out of Brazil in the 20th Century. It attracted dozens of composers, singers, and musicians who got together in small apartments in Copacabana and Ipanema to play their music. A number of those composers gained international fame, spreading the music around the world. Today, Bossa Nova is still the most influential Brazilian music style and has been assimilated by musicians from many cultures.

Of course, when you think of Bossa Nova, the first name that comes to mind is Antonio Carlos Jobim, but he’s not alone in the pantheon great Bossa artists. Others, like Joao Gilberto, Johnny Alf, Joao Donato, Marcos Valle, Durval Ferreira, Mauricio Einhorn, Carlos Lyra, Vinicius de Moraes, Roberto Menescal, Ronaldo Boscoli, are also important in creating the art form.

For this project, I decided to focus my eyes, ears, and soul on the music of two great composers who are on the frontline of Bossa: Carlos Lyra and Roberto Menescal.

Carlos Lyra, I dare say, is one of the best melodists ever in Brazilian music. His music should be studied by musicians around the entire world. He was one of the most important partners of the great poet and lyricist Vinicius de Moraes. Lyra was - and still is - my musical mentor and godfather. When I started my career at age 17, I had the privilege to work in the musical play “Pobre Menina Rica - Poor Rich Girl,” written by Lyra and De Moraes in 1963-1964. What a great baptism! After not seeing him for some time, because he was working in Mexico and in the US, Carlos and I got together in Rio for the recording of his album Bossa Lyra, which was released in Japan. 

Roberto Menescal, who partnered with lyricist Ronaldo Boscoli, created some of the most important gems of Bossa Nova, including the famous “Little Boat.” He has been enjoying a very, very successful career as a composer, musician, and producer, especially in Brazil and Japan. During the early 1960s, Menescal was performing all over with his group “Conjunto Roberto Menescal,” which I had the opportunity to join sometime in 1965. In 1968, we started a group to accompany the legendary singer Elis Regina in Europe, where Elis and Toots Thielemans recorded the album Aquarela do Brasil, in the winter of 1969. Over the next decade, when Menescal was the Artistic Director of Polygram Records, we had the chance to work together on several recording projects.

I’m now presenting my latest recording project BOSSA 65: Celebrating Carlos Lyra and Roberto Menescal. My challenge with this project was choosing five songs by each of these two legends to reunite on this instrumental album. 

Viva the Bossa Nova on its 65 years!!! Viva Carlos Lyra and Roberto Menescal!!Antonio Adolfo

Contact | Antonio Adolfo | antonioadolfosaboia@gmail.com

image-49a891b7688240a6b58275621d3de329-full.jpg

download

Bossa 65-o...

download

BOSSA 65 ...

Edited by GA Russell

This is from Sept. 5, 2022

cover-183c653cf51c41bd9647f5707a87552e-half.jpg

Antonio Adolfo
Octet And Originals

Impacting
August 12th, 2022

Artist Title Time    

Antonio Adolfo Heart of Brazil 05:38    
  Antonio Adolfo Boogie Baiao 04:42    
  Antonio Adolfo Emau 05:12    
  Antonio Adolfo Cascavel 04:11    
  Antonio Adolfo Pretty World 05:05    
  Antonio Adolfo Teletema 05:58    
  Antonio Adolfo Feito em Casa 04:55    
  Antonio Adolfo Minor Chord 05:26    
  Antonio Adolfo Zabumbaia 05:46    
  Antonio Adolfo Toada Moderna 04:35    

RENOWNED BRAZILIAN PIANIST/COMPOSER/ARRANGER ANTONIO ADOLFO

RELEASES AN ALBUM OF ALL ORIGINALS

OCTET AND ORIGINALS”

Coming August 12, 2022 on AAM Music

With over two dozen albums as a leader and multiple Latin Grammy and Grammy nominations, pianist, arranger, composer, and bandleader ANTONIO ADOLFO is an internationally recognized Latin jazz star. More than 200 of his original compositions have been covered by artists like Sergio Mendes, Earl Klugh, Herb Alpert, Stevie Wonder, and Dionne Warwick. Several of his albums pay tribute to great Brazilian and American jazz stars, like Antonio Carlos Jobim (Jobim Forever, 2021), Milton Nascimento (BruMa: Celebrating Milton Nascimento, 2020), Wayne Shorter (Hybrido: From Rio to Wayne Shorter, 2017) and Ernesto Nazareth (Antonio Adolfo Abraça Ernesto Nazareth, 1981), among others.

www.mouthpiecemusic.com

download

LINER NOTE...

download

Octet and ...

download

Octet and ...

And a note from Oct. 10.

Antonio Adolfo Now At #1 On The JazzWeek Chart! 

RENOWNED BRAZILIAN PIANIST/COMPOSER/ARRANGER ANTONIO ADOLFO

RELEASES AN ALBUM OF ALL ORIGINALS

OCTET AND ORIGINALS”

Edited by GA Russell

This is from July 26, 2021.

cover-6961a7dfd3bf486d8d1643cd7395f6ed-half.jpg

Antonio Adolfo
Jobim Forever

Impacting
July 26th, 2021

The Girl From Ipanema    05:31        

Wave   05:09     

A Felicidade  (Happiness)  05:20     

How Insensitive    05:26    

Favela (O Morro Não Tem Vez) (Slum)    05:20    

Inutil Paisagem (Useless Landscape)    06:11    

Agua de Beber (Water to Drink)    04:05    

Amparo (Intro-Por Toda a Minha Vida)    07:00    

Estrada do Sol (Road to the Sun)    04:57    

image-9f6202be94ce4fcd8969c9378f977951-full.jpg

Adolfo's playing is brilliant, elegant, and inspired. His arrangements are superb … a joyous romp and a fitting salute… certainly one of the finest albums of 2020.” -- All About Jazz

The follow-up to Adolfo’s 2020 “BruMa: Celebrating Milton Nascimento,” which remained on the JazzWeek chart for 20 weeks and hit #1 for four weeks!

icon_facebook.pngicon_twitter.pngicon_instagram.png  

Contact info:

www.aammusic.com

www.antonioadolfomusic.com

antonioadolfomusic@gmail.com

And this note from August 26, 2021.

With Only Four Weeks On The Charts Jobim Forever 

Is Now At #1 On The JazzWeek Chart 

And #7 On The Roots Music Report Jazz Chart! 

And this note from October 11, 2021.

Spent Four Weeks At Number #1 On The JazzWeek Chart

Two Weeks At Number #1 On The Roots Music Report.

Edited by GA Russell

On 9/29/2023 at 2:02 PM, Bluesnik said:

These are the 2 albums I know him from. And I have them. The first was reissued in a famous collection by EMI around 2004/5. The second I have as a download of which I made a CD (with cover).

I have them too, and for me, those are the two money cuts.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

This is from June 22, 2020

•  

cover-1ccf0cb5991e4f1d9b0900d10d8cbf59-full.jpg

Artist Title Time    

Antonio Adolfo Fe cega faca amolada (Blind Faith, Sharp Knife) 04:47    
      Antonio Adolfo Nada sera como antes (Nothing Will Be As It Was) 05:14    
      Antonio Adolfo Outubro (October) 05:38    
      Antonio Adolfo Cancao do Sal (Salt Song) 03:34    
      Antonio Adolfo Encontros e Despedidas (Encounters And Farewells) 05:29    
      Antonio Adolfo Tres Pontas 05:18    
      Anton Cais (Harbor) 06:13    
      Antonio Adolfo Caxanga 04:56    
      Antonio Adolfo Tristesse (Sadness) 06:34    

Antonio Adolfo
    "BruMa: Celebrating Milton Nascimento"

Impacting: June 22 2020

ANTONIO ADOLFO is one of the premier pianists, composers, and arrangers to emerge from Brazil. A multi Latin Grammy and Grammy nominee, Adolfo is an internationally recognized Latin jazz star. A prolific recording artist, Adolfo is now releasing BruMa: Celebrating Milton Nascimento.

After over 50 years of friendship and admiration, Antonio Adolfo has decided it was finally time to dedicate an album to Milton Nascimento. “His compositions broke traditional harmonic and rhythmic patterns, with his modalism and some natural rhythmic meters, all in a spontaneous, intuitive and natural way,” says Adolfo.
    Although Adolfo admires Nascimento’s beautiful melodies and interesting harmonies, he is an artist with his own vision and approach. He brings something new and different to each of these compositions.

With his lush, soulful arrangements, Antonio Adolfo has taken Milton Nascimento’s music and made it truly his own. BruMa: Celebrating Milton Nascimento is more than an homage to the famous composer. It is a beautiful, artistic statement from a prolific and formidable composer/arranger and a renowned keyboardist in his own right.

with ANTONIO ADOLFO piano JESSE SADOC trumpet and flugelhorn MARCELO MARTINS alto flute, tenor sax DANILO SINNA alto sax RAFAEL ROCHA trombone CLAUDIO SPIEWAK electric guitar (1,2,4,6), acoustic guitar (3,4,5,9), percussion (4) LULA GALVAO guitar (7,8) LEO AMUEDO guitar (9) JORGE HELDER double bass RAFAEL BARATA drums and percussion DADA COSTA percussion (1,2,6,7,8) ANDRE VASCONCELLOS double bass (2)
    Produced and Arranged by ANTONIO ADOLFO All songs by MILTON NASCIMENTO & partners
    BruMa: Celebrating Milton Nascimento

1. FE CEGA, FACA AMOLADA 4:47 (feh seh-gah fah-kah ah-moh-la-da) (Blind Faith, Sharp Knife)
    2. NADA SERA COMO ANTES 5:14 (nah-dah sera como ahn-tiss) (Nothing Will Be As It Was)
    3. OUTUBRO 5:38 (ou-too-bro) (October)
    4. CANÇÃO DO SAL 3:34 (kahn-sohn doo sahl) (Salt Song)
    5. ENCONTROS E DESPEDIDAS 5:29 (en-kohn-trous eh dess-peh-dee-dass) (Encounters and Farewells)
    6. TRÊS PONTAS 5:18 (treys pontass)
    7. CAIS 6:13 (kah-eez) (Harbor)
    8. CAXANGA 4:46 (kah-shang-gah)a
    9. TRISTESSE 6:32 (trees-teh-seh) (Sadness)

July 27, 2020

Looking for more adds and spins this week on "BruMa" it's now #2 on the JazzWeek Chart! 

August 14, 2020

Two weeks in a row at number #1 and gaining more stations and airplay!

From Nov. 8, 2018

cover-e62037c15f56463a9feb9a04e6e59741-full.jpg
  Artist Title Time  
  Antonio Adolfo Partido Samba-Funk 05:21  
  Antonio Adolfo Pentatonica 04:29  
  Antonio Adolfo Atlantica 04:33  
  Antonio Adolfo Luizao 04:20  
  Antonio Adolfo Milestones 04:28  
  Antonio Adolfo Saudade 06:41  
  Antonio Adolfo Capoeira Ya 04:50  
  Antonio Adolfo Africa Bahia Brasil 06:11  
  Antonio Adolfo Delicada Jazz Waltz 05:03  
  Antonio Adolfo Sa Marina 06:59  

Antonio Adolfo

"Encontros-Orquestra Atlantica"

JazzWeek

image-320e2d2df8b54b8087aaa4a2be522049-f

Pianist, Composer, Producer and Grammy Nominee ANTONIO ADOLFO continues to dominate the JazzWeek chart after 16 weeks and peaking at #2 with “Encontros - Orquestra Atlantica!  If you missed this outstanding releases the first time around, here’s your chance to check it out NOW!

Whether one loves Brazilian music, big bands or modern jazz, Encontros – Orquestra Atlantica makes for a memorable and stimulating listening experience

Throughout the past 40 years, Antonio Adolfo has had a very busy career as a pianist, composer, and arranger. Born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, his teachers included Eumir Deodato and Nadia Boulanger (in Paris). A jazz pianist since the mid-1960s in Brazil, Adolfo worked with such major singers as Leny Andrade, Flora Purim, Elis Regina, and Milton Nascimento and has recorded more than 25 albums as a leader. A major name for decades, his music combines together Brazilian rhythmic styles with jazz. His previous recording, Antonio Adolfo “HYBRIDO - From Rio to Wayne Shorter,” was a 2018 Grammy finalist. As a bandleader, Antonio Adolfo has mostly been featured with small groups that showcase his music and his solo abilities. However, he has long considered it a major goal to someday record an album with a larger ensemble, a big band that had a full understanding of both Brazilian music and jazz.

Encontros - Orquestra Atlantica is the realization of that dream. After having seen a performance in Rio de Janeiro by Orquestra Atlantica, a Brazilian jazz orchestra founded in 2012, Antonio Adolfo was so impressed that he invited the group to be a major part of his new recording. With up to seven horns and several guests, Adolfo had many new tone colors at his disposal along with the powerful sound of a big band. The result is an exciting set comprised of nine of Adolfo’s compositions plus Miles Davis’ “Milestones.” The inventive arrangements of Jesse Sadoc and Marcelo Martins mix together the sound of big band jazz with such Brazilian styles as the Samba, Bossa Nova, Baiao, Frevo, and the Afoxe to create memorable and infectious music. It is very rare for Brazilian jazz to be performed by a big band, particularly one of this quality. Hearing Antonio Adolfo’s music played by a top-notch orchestra casts new light on his writing abilities.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plaympe.com%2Fimage%

www.aammusic.com

www.antonioadolfomusic.com

• 3 weeks later...