Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group

Pim

Just now, clifford_thornton said:

van der Capellen was a great bassist. Wish I'd been able to see him in person!

Agreed .... but - coming back to the topic of Mal Waldron's magic with rather unheralded musicians - I would see him as local artist ....

17 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Fair point. I think, however, that there is a tendency to equate the "local rhythm section" with amateurs, when we know that's not the case with Mal's collaborators on these dates.

Really appreciate local musicians in general .... reg Mal Waldron also bassplayers Isla EckingerHenk Haverhoek or Carlos Barretto come to my mind ....

20 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Fair point. I think, however, that there is a tendency to equate the "local rhythm section" with amateurs, when we know that's not the case with Mal's collaborators on these dates.

I should have been more clear. With local I did not necessarily mean amateur.  But they were local and never really got a superstar status while they all really shine on those Waldron records. Isla Eckingers bass playing is stunning for example.

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Thierry Bruneau 4tet Featuring Mal Waldron "Live At De Kave" (Serene) from 1990 ....

That’s one of the few Waldron records I do not really like and that’s mostly because I don’t like Bruneaus playing.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

I should have been more clear. With local I did not necessarily mean amateur.  But they were local and never really got a superstar status while they all really shine on those Waldron records. Isla Eckingers bass playing is stunning for example.

oh yeah, I know what you meant. I'd imagine, though, someone could spin it to devalue the contributions of the non-superstar players.