Buddy Rich had nothing on Illinois Jacquet (?)

Dan Gould

Reading Berry Gordy's (sic) autobiography and came across this great (sic) quote:

There are three kinds of people -- dumb, smart, and super-smart. And you can't tell the super-smart from the dumb. 

In a competitive, political working situation a thin-skinned person will always have a hard time making it. I call that person smart. The smart are easy to identify; they're defensive -- their egos are bruised easily. They seek the credit for everything they do and need approval from others. If something is said that they understand to be insulting to them they take great offense. The other two kinds react differently. The super-smart don't care and the dumb don't know. 

4 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

I'm sorry, there's no way we can excuse this kind of abusive behavior by Jacquet, no matter how great he was. Obviously I am not of that stature but I've been leading good-sized bands in complex musical situations for about 35 years and I would never treat anyone like that, and I have had a few difficult - and more than difficult - sideman. You don't like 'em? You fire 'em. And there is even less excuse for Jacquet, who was a well-paid star; if I can handle low-pay and no-pay gigs with obnoxious club owners, Jacquet can act like a grown up (and honestly, he wasn't that great a tenor player anyway; I always preferred his alto).  This is part of the dues you pay as a leader. Patience, you suck it up, and you handle multiple personalities with care and diplomacy.

👍

8 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

I'm sorry, there's no way we can excuse this kind of abusive behavior by Jacquet, no matter how great he was. Obviously I am not of that stature but I've been leading good-sized bands in complex musical situations for about 35 years and I would never treat anyone like that, and I have had a few difficult - and more than difficult - sideman. You don't like 'em? You fire 'em. And there is even less excuse for Jacquet, who was a well-paid star; if I can handle low-pay and no-pay gigs with obnoxious club owners, Jacquet can act like a grown up (and honestly, he wasn't that great a tenor player anyway; I always preferred his alto).  This is part of the dues you pay as a leader. Patience, you suck it up, and you handle multiple personalities with care and diplomacy.

Word.