Your favourite salsa records

Rabshakeh

On 2/13/2024 at 12:55 PM, soulpope said:

Chino Y Su Conjunto Melao "Fruto Prohibido" (T.R. Tecords) 1975 .... the band delivers pure energy and  lead singer Ray De La Paz wails his way ...

Thanks for this one. I played with Ray De La Paz for a few years with his own band and with Louie Ramirez and I was not familiar with this one. It's killing.

This has been a fun thread to read. When I first moved back to New York, I cut my teeth on the thriving New York salsa scene in the early '90s and got to play with some of the best bands in New York, many of whom I see represented here. 

Here is one from Ray De La Paz from the time period when I played in the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBgBOwwzRN0

If someone can teach me how to post link from you tube so you can play them here, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks

Edited by david weiss

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, david weiss said:

Thanks for this one. I played with Ray De La Paz for a few years with his own band and with Louie Ramirez and I was not familiar with this one. It's killing.

This has been a fun thread to read. When I first moved back to New York, I cut my teeth on the thriving New York salsa scene in the early '90s and got to play with some of the best bands in New York, many of whom I see represented here. 

Here is one from Ray De La Paz from the time period when I played in the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBgBOwwzRN0

If someone can teach me how to post link from you tube so you can play them here, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks

Great you're enjoying this thread and the music.

The links you've embedded works fine.

Would be interested and appreciate to hear more abour specific memories (musicians, groups) of your's reg the Salsa scene in the early 90's .... I believe from the mid/late 80's onward this genre's industry changed and classic Salsa had to take a backseat ....

ab67616d0000b273a916b79f93949240f510dd94

Roman Y Su Conjunto Nabori „Roman Y Su Conjunto Nabori“ (Guajiro Records) 1981 …. this platter stand for the waning "golden years" of Salsa aka very high standard but nevertheless a "one off" release .... recommended ....

Willie Rosario "Llueve" (Top Hits) 1979 .... Willie Rosario always had a knack for top singers and Junior Toledo is no exception to the rule .... highlight here the long middle section where the horns sit out and Toledo and coro ride the percussion/cowbell rhythm .... superb ....

On 3/17/2024 at 6:45 AM, soulpope said:

Bobby Vince Paunetto "Paunetto's Point 2" (Pathfinder Records) 1975 .... the conguero luxury of  Manny OquendoMilton Cardona and Jerry Gonzalez at work ....

Would you class this as salsa?

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Would you class this as salsa?

It's a crossover of Jazz/Latin with Salsa influences (potentially Kip Hanrahan got the one or other inspiration here 👹 ....) .... from time to time I feature tracks here not part of the classic "Salsa" segment, but showcasing musicians from the genre extensively ....

Willie Rosario "El Flamboyán" (Top Hits) 1980 .... Willie Rosario and the golden hand for top singers .... from an LP with Bobby Concepcion and Tony Vega (like here) sharing lead vocal duties .... what a treat ....