Ornette Coleman, Body Meta and Dancing In Your Head

Lazaro Vega

In the CD liner notes for Body Meta Ornette writes that "Body Meta is the first Prime Time recording. The Dancing In Your Head release came from these sessions."
And the booklet to the CD lists "Barclay Studio, Paris, 1975" as the recording date for Body Meta.

Little help? WIKI lists different dates for Dancing In Your Head and Body Meta, with Dancing In Your Head from 1975, and Body Meta from December 19, 1976.

According to the Lord discography, December 28, 1975 is the date of the first Prime Time recording in Paris, France.  That is the date of the recording of Body Meta and the Theme From a Symphony tracks on Dancing In Your Head.  The other track on Dancing in Your Head (Midnight Sunrise) is not Prime Time.  It was recorded in Morocco in January, 1973 with local musicians and Robert Palmer (the music critic who was accompanying Ornette on this trip) on clarinet and flute.   

Edited by John L

Both records were in all the record shops when I started to become very interested in the music of O.C. 

I still must have them somewhere. The "Theme from a Symphony" was played very very often by Ornette Coleman, I like that long track and Ornette´s outstanding solo. 
The other track from Morocco, I think it´s with local traditional musicians didn´t really work for me. I heard folk music in Tunisia with fine rhythm and which also had inspired Charles Mingus when he played in Tunisia and it laid the roots for Mingus´ last recording session "Three Worlds of Drums". But the Morocco track on Dancing in Your Head just couldn´t be understood by me, it doesn´t have that drive I find in other North African stuff......

22 hours ago, John L said:

According to the Lord discography, December 28, 1975 is the date of the first Prime Time recording in Paris, France.  That is the date of the recording of Body Meta and the Theme From a Symphony tracks on Dancing In Your Head.  The other track on Dancing in Your Head (Midnight Sunrise) is not Prime Time.  It was recorded in Morocco in January, 1973 with local musicians and Robert Palmer (the music critic who was accompanying Ornette on this trip) on clarinet and flute.   

Thanks!