What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered that 4-CD Fats Domino set thanks to the box-set sale at Amazon.

Love Fats Domino! :)

Yeah! Time to get the old Fats vinyl out for tomorrow.

MG

What, is tomorrow his birthday?

No - I just suddenly felt like listening to Fats when I read the thread, but it was nearly bedtime. Easily suggestible, that's me. :rsmile:

MG

Confession: no Fats in the collection at the moment, as previously owned LP and audio tape have been lost or stolen. But I have a fairly recent CD of Little Richard's greatest hits and I believe he used Fats's great band, so some solace there! :rolleyes:

There's a British LP (on the United Artists label if memory serves) that had a great selection of 10 songs per side; for my money, 19 of the 20 songs were classics. If it's available as a CD I'd recommend getting that.

Got the "Collectables Jazz Classics" conflation of the two European Concert albums by the Modern Jazz Quartet online. It just came in yesterday. Ordered it due to discussion on this board. So far, I'm digging it! :tup

I can now proudly add it to the teeny-tiny collection of MJQ albums I already have. Got to get more someday.

I just ordered that 4-CD Fats Domino set thanks to the box-set sale at Amazon.

Love Fats Domino! :)

Yeah! Time to get the old Fats vinyl out for tomorrow.

MG

What, is tomorrow his birthday?

No - I just suddenly felt like listening to Fats when I read the thread, but it was nearly bedtime. Easily suggestible, that's me. :rsmile:

MG

Hey, I'm the same way! I often get ideas on what to listen to next from the "What are you listening to now?" thread.

Edited by BruceH

Two lps

Steve Coleman's Sine Die (Pangaea) Custom pressed audiophile version

Bob Dylan's New Morning (Columbia) I haven't heard this since the 70s.

Cd

The Band's Stage Fright (remastered version)

I just finished reading Levon Helm's This Wheel's On Fire so I'm in a big bad Band mood and for some reason I never bought this one when it came out.

Edited by six string

Just as I was on my way out for a shopping expedition in Cardiff, the postman brought

651e1363ada074e6fd69e010.L.jpg

so I put it in my bag and took it with me. Listened to it while walking around the shops and over lunch.

They must have thought I was crazy in Cardiff, walking around going, "YEAH!", "Ohhh!", "WOW!" Yes, Prez got to me a bit.

It's not even slightly surprising that out of the four singles from these sessions, three would have made the R&B charts. I'll have another listen to the Aladdin material, but I think I prefer this set by about ten miles.

And many thanks to Bentsy, for finding this for me!

MG

Just as I was on my way out for a shopping expedition in Cardiff, the postman brought

651e1363ada074e6fd69e010.L.jpg

so I put it in my bag and took it with me. Listened to it while walking around the shops and over lunch.

They must have thought I was crazy in Cardiff, walking around going, "YEAH!", "Ohhh!", "WOW!" Yes, Prez got to me a bit.

It's not even slightly surprising that out of the four singles from these sessions, three would have made the R&B charts. I'll have another listen to the Aladdin material, but I think I prefer this set by about ten miles.

And many thanks to Bentsy, for finding this for me!

MG

Mmm. Going through a bit of a Prez phase here. Just got the Aladdin. Thanks for your thoughts on this one MG!

g75805i85zp.jpg

Cream - Gold

Several months ago, I popped into a record store that was totally new to me (somewhat dark, burning insense, eclectic staff dressed in street clothes of their choosing) and they were playing Cream over the sound system while I was there. (Shortly before that I went through a phase of listening to British blues like Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers) Ever since, Cream's sound has been haunting me. One disc in this set contains 21 songs and the 2nd disc contains 8 live performances. Bluesy, British, psychedelic, cheap, in great shape and 3 guys laying down some awesome rock. I couldn't resist.

Edited by mikelz777

Charlie Parker At Cafe Society Downtown and Birdland (Embers)--I thought I had just about all the released live Bird to be had, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had not heard the Cafe Society material (the first CD of this collection) and had heard only one of the broadcasts from the Birdland CD. And its pretty much all first rate material, in acceptable sound. Plus Kenny Dorham at the Cafe Society, and even some Bird with Bud Powell and Mingus I hadn't heard at Birdland.

Cecil Taylor--Looking Ahead (OJC)

Lila Downs--Shake Away

Otis Redding--Live in London and Paris.