What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite good intentions to cut back on CD buying, it's really hard when merchants like Borders and Half-Price Books are offering coupons ranging from 20% to 50% off. I couldn't resist making the following buys:

Eric Alexander - Prime Time: In Concert (CD/DVD) / Full Range

31gpCRm%20pBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41SWBM2BQZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I have only 3 Eric Alexander CDs in my collection and enjoy them all so he's more than worthy of a broader representation in my collection.

I have no Alexander albums, but very much like what I've heard of him on the radio. Which is regarded as the best album?

Despite good intentions to cut back on CD buying, it's really hard when merchants like Borders and Half-Price Books are offering coupons ranging from 20% to 50% off. I couldn't resist making the following buys:

I have only 3 Eric Alexander CDs in my collection and enjoy them all so he's more than worthy of a broader representation in my collection.

I have no Alexander albums, but very much like what I've heard of him on the radio. Which is regarded as the best album?

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=eric+alexander

MG

My current collection consists of:

Prime Time: In Concert / Nightlife In Tokyo / The Second Milestone

31gpCRm+pBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51E6Q5JDNPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41BYQ4RN1WL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Man With A Horn / Full Range

41AVEX4H96L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41SWBM2BQZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I haven't received "Full Range" yet so I can't really judge that one yet. Of the four I have right now, I'd say that "Prime Time: In Concert" is my current favorite. This CD also comes with a concert DVD which I have yet to watch. (I just picked this one up last week.) All five titles are rated 4 stars or more (out of 5) by allmusicguide.com if your rankings tend to run similar to theirs. I like them all and consider them all strong and recommended recordings.

I received my box of LPs from Dan Gould today. YAY!!!!!!!!

Blue Mitchell - Blue Mitchell - Mainstream

Bobby Bryant - Big Band Blues - Vee-Jay

Perri Lee - A night at Count Basie's - Roulette

Sonny Stitt - Blues for Duke - Muse

Charles Earland - Boss organ - Choice

Hank Marr - Live at the Club 502 - King

Dave Bailey - Gettin' Into Somethin' - Epic

Buddy Tate - Hard Blowin Live at Sandy's - Muse

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Bill Doggett - Midnight Slows Vol 10 - Black & Blue

Illinois Jacquet - Midnight Slows Volume 8 - Black & Blue

Willis 'Gator Tail' Jackson - Funky Reggae - Trip

Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson - Hold it Right There! - Muse

Phew! Wow!

MG

I received my box of LPs from Dan Gould today. YAY!!!!!!!!

Blue Mitchell - Blue Mitchell - Mainstream

Bobby Bryant - Big Band Blues - Vee-Jay

Perri Lee - A night at Count Basie's - Roulette

Sonny Stitt - Blues for Duke - Muse

Charles Earland - Boss organ - Choice

Hank Marr - Live at the Club 502 - King

Dave Bailey - Gettin' Into Somethin' - Epic

Buddy Tate - Hard Blowin Live at Sandy's - Muse

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Bill Doggett - Midnight Slows Vol 10 - Black & Blue

Illinois Jacquet - Midnight Slows Volume 8 - Black & Blue

Willis 'Gator Tail' Jackson - Funky Reggae - Trip

Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson - Hold it Right There! - Muse

Phew! Wow!

MG

Yep! Got mine yesterday as well!!!

Just arrived: two CDs I DIDN'T get in the COncord sale, because they were so cheap at Amazon UK

41VAHR1E8ML._SS400_.jpg

518Pv5SBC1L._SS500_.jpg

A mistake this one - I thought from the Concord write up that it was the whole of 3 Bluesville LPs on one CD - but it's a bloody compilation! Oh well.

Palmieri on now and it sounds nice and hot.

MG

Oh, what a busy day! A day of interrupted (unfortunately) listening to new albums.

Today's haul was

02a3_1.JPG

I've had this a long time on a home tape. Very glad to get a real one now. This is the only one I haven't listened to (yet) :) The label says "full radial stereo" - wonder what that is :D

My Concord sale order turned up before 9am!

CCD2-2177-2.jpg

A hottie!

OJCCD-1758-2.jpg

What a super album this is! Ida's voice was a bit past its sell-by date, but the way she used it! And with Hawk, Roy Eldridge, Sammy Price, Milt Hinton and Jo Jones, you just can't go wrong.

83425.jpg

Sweet, with Clark Terry, Frank Wess and Junior Mance. Very nice music day today.

Two by Tito Puente - first ones I've ever bought

CCD2-2132-2.jpg

CCD2-4953-2.jpg

Also very hot stuff. Two 2Cd sets. I shan't go short of Tito Puente for a while.

(For next post's thrilling episode, see below)

MG

Then I got a few come in from Dusty Groove

griffi_dell_travelinl_101b.jpg

I haven't heard much Della before - only a couple of tracks on "Christmas with Houston Person & friends". She's very good. With Houston's regular band of the time (1992) and cover photo by Etta Jones - didn't know she was a photographer!

brooks_ceci_neckpecki_101b.jpg

I like Cecil's albums. I was sorry I didn't notice these when they came out. Glad to have this now.

keel_lewis~_comingout_101b.jpg

Never heard of Lewis Keel before. Interesting alto player. Plenty of good influences but not terribly much his own man I think. Joe sometimes used Muse as a "vanity" label, I understand, and I suspect this may have been one such album. But with Ponder, Mabern, Jamil Nasser & Leroy Williams, the thing swings very nicely.

3125SNKXJRL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

The high point of the day! I thought this would be a fairly good band. COleman Hawkins, Benny Carter, Don Redman, Joe Smith, Sidney De Paris, Todd Rhodes, Fats Waller, Prince Robinson. Not too bad. Kept me awake. Blew me away from time to time, they just swung so effin' HARD! And to hear the original version of "Gee baby, ain't I good to you" - with the words mostly spoken! I hadn't realised that Todd Rhodes was one of the three musicians who founded the Cotton Pickers; thought he just worked in the band for a short while. I'm definitely getting the other two volumes of this. And the sound! I think this must be the first time I've heard JRT Davies' transfers. It's just unbelieveable.

MG

Bad news on the Turrentine "Complete Blue Hour" ... arrived today with glue on playing surface. Couldn't clean. Had to reorder. So, while I was at it, I ordered these also:

Paul Gonsalves & Clark Terry Quintet -- "Complete Recordings"

Has been lingering on the wish list for a short while.

515y9b7TH1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Donnie McCaslin -- "Recommended Tools"

Sax, bass, drums trio. Sounds strong.

51XqJUFmHnL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Chicago Luzern Exchange -- "Several Lights"

The tuba sold me.

51DAZQNRKHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg