LF: Bobby Scott Trio "Serenata" 1958 on Verve.

sgcim

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

Bobby Scott had one of the most interesting careers ever, or so it seems. Wonder if he left behind any memoirs or journals. 

He seemed to be going through an Oscar Peterson phase back here. I listened to the rest of the record, and they play Fine and Dandy and Serenata off the metronome. I can understand Fine and Dandy, but Serenata? Who plays a tune like that fast, and without a drummer? He couldn't connect his lines like Oscar, and just winds up making Dick Garcia (the reason I wanted the album-I have every note he played as a sideman now) look good.

I did a bunch of gigs with Ronnie Woellner, who used to be a trumpet player with him (until he had an accident and lost his front teeth) and also arranged or him. RW became a pianist himself, who played great changes. I was so busy trying to steal his changes that I didn't ask him about Bobby Scott.  Scott wrote Taste of Honey and "He Ain't Heavy, he's MY Brother", and had a hit singing "For Sentimental Reasons", and then did a lot of sessions. I'll have to look him up on Wiki.

BTW, a friend told me that Clint Strong (as if he didn't have enough problems) suffered a stroke earlier this year. Did you hear anything about that?

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Did not.

Scott played with Lester Young on some JATP gigs (and was Pres' preferred bus companion, apparently) and also did those wonderful charts that Marvin Gaye obsessed over for years.

Talk about a broad range of life experiences via music.  

i don't know where you find these things! I never heard MG interpret a standard like that. The Scott arrangement was pretty powerful, with hints of exotica in the winds that would bring a smile to the face of TTK.

The other one with the overdubbed voices sounded like it was overdubbed by a DJ who knows nothing about counterlines. They didn't release the first version MG did in '67, because they claimed MG kept the orchestra waiting because he was doing drugs in the bathroom of the studio and wouldn't come out. When he did come out, they claimed he was slurring all his words, so they decide not to release it.

Bobby Scott died when he was only 53, so I doubt he wrote ant memoirs, but there should be a bio written.

No...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulnerable_(Marvin_Gaye_album)

All those vocals were done by Marvin himself over the years. David Ritz's bio tells that Gaye would work on some of those tracks with a borderline obsession over the years in a quest for perfection, thus the totally different t performances that are available.

Gaye was a true genius when it came to creating multiple layers and levels using his own voice. Vulnerable is not his best album, but it is still an essential one imo. 

This one might be the ultimate, though:

This last one is probably the "drug" version, but the tale about him keeping the orchestra waiting doesn't hold up because those tracks were almost certainly done before Marvin came in for vocal tracks.

Plus, what common wisdom has as being the original album completed takes are the ones that are the more conventionally sung ones. None of them are particularly adventurous.

Marvin certainly has plenty of legends around him, and that one about being holed up in the bathroom while the band waited well could have happened at some session (particularly further into the 70s) but legend is not fact.

Still, that particular takes has fascinated me just because for whatever reason, he is more or less defenseless against whatever was knocking him out (and it may not have been substances, it might have been real depression or some other mental thing). It's kinda like the Bird "Lover Man" date, nothing but reflexes. But such reflexes they are!

Marvin knew about mental issues...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

This last one is probably the "drug" version, but the tale about him keeping the orchestra waiting doesn't hold up because those tracks were almost certainly done before Marvin came in for vocal tracks.

Plus, what common wisdom has as being the original album completed takes are the ones that are the more conventionally sung ones. None of them are particularly adventurous.

Marvin certainly has plenty of legends around him, and that one about being holed up in the bathroom while the band waited well could have happened at some session (particularly further into the 70s) but legend is not fact.

Still, that particular takes has fascinated me just because for whatever reason, he is more or less defenseless against whatever was knocking him out (and it may not have been substances, it might have been real depression or some other mental thing). It's kinda like the Bird "Lover Man" date, nothing but reflexes. But such reflexes they are!

Marvin knew about mental issues...

This whole thing is flipping me out. I never knew MG was into stuff like this. Reading his Wiki entry, he did want to give up on R&B in 1961, and concentrate on jazz and standards. He played the drums and later keyboards and idolized Sinatra. His father was a cross-dressing minister who beat him for years.

He transforms Shadow and Why Did I Choose You into his own songs based on Scott's evocative arrangements, and does some great layering of his voice on almost all of his different versions of the tunes. Amazing.

Yeah, Marvin was, as they say, complicated, but also very deep.

You can get every permutation of the Ziplockian scale possible by doing your math homework, but to get THIS...this is not for everybody to get to, because not everybody has it in them to get there, much less survive.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, Marvin was, as they say, complicated, but also very deep.

You can get every permutation of the Ziplockian scale possible by doing your math homework, but to get THIS...this is not for everybody to get to, because not everybody has it in them to get there, much less survive.

I never knew much about any musicians' life before the internet, but reading about MG , the cover of that album says it all. How could such a talented musician wind up with

"his dying words, which were, "I got what I wanted ... I couldn't do it myself, so I made him do it."