9 hours ago, sgcim said:

Miles even gets on Diz' case in this book. He's quoted as saying he doesn't want to come out like an Uncle Tom like Satch and Diz. After being humiliated nightly, and begging Bird to fire him every night after he replaced Diz in the Quintet, he bragged to Diz later on, "I can play all your stuff now".

Diz put hm in his place immediately, "Yeah, but you gotta play it 8va lower!"

Yeah, easy for him to say.

That´s one side about Miles I don´t like. 

When I first saw him more than 50 years ago, I had thought and read, that this is a more angry, but very silent guy who just doesn´t like to talk, and it is expressed thru the sound of loneliness in his trumpet, which was very evident not only in the old days but also when I heard it, with all them electric echipments...., 
So later when I heard some things he said I was quite shocked, and since I know that he loved Dizzy all his live, he just should have SHUT UP instead of tellin stupid lies and untrue things. I mean it is a no go to talk bad things about fellow musicians.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

That´s one side about Miles I don´t like. 

When I first saw him more than 50 years ago, I had thought and read, that this is a more angry, but very silent guy who just doesn´t like to talk, and it is expressed thru the sound of loneliness in his trumpet, which was very evident not only in the old days but also when I heard it, with all them electric echipments...., 
So later when I heard some things he said I was quite shocked, and since I know that he loved Dizzy all his live, he just should have SHUT UP instead of tellin stupid lies and untrue things. I mean it is a no go to talk bad things about fellow musicians.  

He was very depressed about Coltrane, Cannonball, Evans and even his rhythm section leaving him.

He was also envious of their success. He used to make fun of Cannonball's hit on Mercy, Mercy Mercy" Miles used to call it "Country Joe"!!!!! LOL!

1 minute ago, sgcim said:

He was very depressed about Coltrane, Cannonball, Evans and even his rhythm section leaving him.

He was also envious of their success. He used to make fun of Cannonball's hit on Mercy, Mercy Mercy" Miles used to call it "Country Joe"!!!!! LOL!

okay yes, the period shortly before the birth of the 2nd Quinted was not his most fruitful period. Maybe this made him somehow bitter. 

15 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

okay yes, the period shortly before the birth of the 2nd Quinted was not his most fruitful period. Maybe this made him somehow bitter. 

Yes, it was exactly that period.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

Regarding voicings, McCoy always credited Richie Powell as his influence.

There was life outside of Planet Miles!

Maybe everywhere else in the world, but in this book and thread on it, only the thoughts of Miles and Trane exist.

When taking on Wallace Roney as his protege, the first thing he told "Wally" was not to listen to Clifford Brown, because he didn't swing.