Steve Turre and SNL

Milestones

I don't hear it remarked on much, but Steve Turre has been with the SNL band since 1985.  If he puts in another year, that will make 40.  It seems remarkable that he has done that job all these years and also amassed a large and diverse discography.  I've really enjoyed a lot of his records, which for me peaked with Rhythm Within and Lotus Flower.    

The band has other jazz notables, principally Ron Blake and Alex Foster.  They've had long stints as well, though their solo careers are several notches below Turre's.

Question #1:  How does Steve Turre manage it?

Question #2:  Is there any other high-profile jazz musician in history who has put in a stint even close to this length as a member of a TV band?

Some important names, for sure.  Severinsen especially, given that he was the leader and amassed quite a discography.  Not that I know anything about his records. 

Watts seems like a good parallel with Turre, though he spent only about 20 years with Tonight Show Band.   

You also had Kevin Eubanks from the Jay Leno era, but curiously Eubanks did not make any records of his own during the years he was the leader (following Branford Marsalis' fairly short stint).

I had not the slightest clue Steve Turre was still in that group as you couldn't pay me to watch that program for going on, I don't know, 15 to 20 years?

I hope he is well-compensated and suspect that he is.

I am sure Turre is well-compensated indeed from SNL, which I too have not watched for decades.

Doing this kind of gig will give a musician comfort and more.  That's not such a bad thing, especially when one can still regularly put out the kind of music that Turre does.