Sultry Serenade Vs. How Could You Do a Thing Like That to Me

This same melody is known under two titles.  A number of online sources list Duke Ellington as composer of "Sultry Serenade."  Presumably, this was the title when it was an instrumental. Meanwhile, Allan Roberts and Tyree Glenn are listed as the writers of "How Could You Do a Thing Like That to Me."

I'm guessing that the writers are indeed Roberts and Glenn, and that the online attributions to Duke are an error?

I think your guess is in part incorrect?

"Sultry Serenade"was from 1948. But Tyree Glenn played on it, and might well have been responsible for the core riff. But in typical Ellington fashion, he turned a riff into an orchestral piece.

"How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me" was not recorded until 1954 by Harry James with no lyrics and was credited solely to Glenn:

Here's Tyree's own version from 1962(?)

So if you want to look at "Sultry Serenade" as Ellington's orchestral expansion of a Tyree Glenn"l riff, you would be correct, just as you would be correct in giving Tyree Glenn credit for that riff when it became a stand-alone pop song.

Who that lyricist was, I don't know and probably don't care.

I would think that you can, but if you have in your mind that you're playing a tune you heard on a Duke record then credit Duke.

Ideally one should credit both Ellington & Glenn, like it probably should have been done in the first place 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I would think that you can, but if you have in your mind that you're playing a tune you heard on a Duke record then credit Duke.

Ideally one should credit both Ellington & Glenn, like it probably should have been done in the first place 

It seems that the tune is typically credited to Roberts & Glenn, at least on the albums/CDs I have.