George Duvivier leader album

Daniel A

The Wikipedia article on George Duvivier refers to a recording I have not found any reference to elsewhere. 

"Although he spent most of his career as a sideman, he recorded as a leader in 1956 with Martial Solal for Coronet."

Coronet seems also as a somewhat unlikely label for such an album, but before making an edit of the article, I'd like to ask the members here whether they recognize this supposed album.

Ni01MjQ4LmpwZWc.jpeg

My best shot at what could be meant...

More info there... Apparently there's overdubbing so Duvivier and Solal will really be heard together... Coronet seems to be Columbia... And whether Duvivier should be considered a Co-Leader here I wouldn't want to judge

Thanks, interesting! But I cannot find any examples of this recording anywhere else.

On Discogs, there are a couple of Coronet releases with calalog numbers starting with "CX" in the 50-60 range, some of which have a French connection:

https://www.discogs.com/master/919517-François-Chantal-Accordeon-De-Paris

However, not this one.

George Duvivier’s final session listed in the excellent bio/discography published by Scarecrow Press was a duo with pianist James Williams. I asked him about it and he said that his own playing wasn’t up to his standards, though Duvivier was great. I have no idea if the unissued tape is in the James Williams archives left to William Paterson University, they never responded to my query.

In Ed Berger's Bassically Speaking, an oral history and discography of George Duvivier, there is no listing of a recording by the bassist with either Michel Hausser or Martial Solal, though he did make a recording in Paris in May 1956 with Bill Coleman and another with Sacha Distel.

Edited by Ken Dryden

On 4/27/2024 at 1:34 AM, jazztrain said:

I suspect the reference is to this:

Paris, May 22, 1956
COR56-139 Rue Dauphine ? Coronet
COR56-140 Nautilus  
COR56-141 No whiskey for George  
COR56-142 You go to my head  
COR56-143 Just for kicks  
COR56-144 Fine and dandy

FWIW, this session is also listed in the Bruyninckx discography (the version released in instalments as PDF files - but which certainly predates any publications in the Lord discography). So rumors about the existence of this release must have been around for a while.