Stax: Soulsville U.S.A. Documentary on Hulu

On 5/23/2024 at 9:57 PM, JSngry said:

It's a great story with a very sad ending.

Screwed over by big corporations although the first time Stewart should have read the contract or had a lawyer do so, which he obviously didn’t have.

However, it’s a great documentary, very well done. 

Edited by Brad

21 hours ago, soulpope said:

Interesting although whether CBS committed tortious acts was not the subject of the decision which only talked about the removability of the case from state to federal court, a concept which may just be a feature of common law.

Robert Gordon has written a well received book about Stax which I’ve ordered. Al Bell blames the demise all on CBS but I’m not sure that’s a completely balanced view. Some things I’ve seen suggest that was just part of the problem. 

This is the first, and imo still the best, book about Stax, start to finish:

https://www.amazon.com/Soulsville-U-S-Story-Records/dp/0825672848/ref=asc_df_0825672848/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693683181839&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16736990023880112290&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026802&hvtargid=pla-497010622035&psc=1&mcid=bb16bb1ce7bd3b76a3b46b0137be7c7f&gad_source=1

612QrW3HHuL._SL1360_.jpg

From 1997!!!

Al Bell's reach far exceeded his grasp, but Union Planters was more than happy to let him free fall and then be there to play "just business....".

They had options. All banks have options.

Ok, it looks like Rob Bowman was involved in the Hulu series. Good!

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This is the first, and imo still the best, book about Stax, start to finish:

https://www.amazon.com/Soulsville-U-S-Story-Records/dp/0825672848/ref=asc_df_0825672848/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693683181839&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16736990023880112290&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026802&hvtargid=pla-497010622035&psc=1&mcid=bb16bb1ce7bd3b76a3b46b0137be7c7f&gad_source=1

612QrW3HHuL._SL1360_.jpg

From 1997!!!

Al Bell's reach far exceeded his grasp, but Union Planters was more than happy to let him free fall and then be there to play "just business....".

They had options. All banks have options.

Ok, it looks like Rob Bowman was involved in the Hulu series. Good!

I want to read that one. Yes, Bowman had a large role in the series. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think so. He had ambitions and was achieving them until he got the rug pulled out from under him, first by CBS,k then by Union Planters.

I've searched in vain to find any indication that his real error was doing anything other than pushing back against CBS when they sought to unilaterally renegotiate a contract. That might have been foolish, but it was noble, imo. The Union Planters affair was a sham, the bank screwing over the company to cover their own ass. Exoneration of Bell came, but only after the assets had all been seized.

I find it interesting (and valedictory) that he eventually went to work for Barry Gordy when Gordy was navigating the sale of Motown to MCA.